Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I not able to text to a person outside the iPad messaging network. As long as they have an iPad, iPhone, or Mac computer I am not able to text them.

iPad mesaging outside the apple network? Why are these not accessible with iPad messaging.

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:38 PM

6 replies

Feb 6, 2012 7:41 PM in response to dennisfromfernley

The iPad only allows you to send messages to other people with iPads, iPhones, or iPod Touches using the Messages app. You may apps in the App Store that allow you to message other people, but keep in mind the iPad is not a phone. It doesn't send text messages. iMessage is essentially a fancy instant messaging app built right into the device.

Jul 7, 2015 8:57 AM in response to kristyfromwa

This is a 3 year old thread that is not directly related to your question you need to start your own thread.

A WiFi+Cellular iPad does not have a cell voice connection so it cannot send or receive SMS text messages. I'm guessing it works for you whenever you are in Bluetooth range of your iPhone and fails when you do not have the iPhone close to you. That would be because the iPad accesses SMS via your iPhone.

Why am I not able to text to a person outside the iPad messaging network. As long as they have an iPad, iPhone, or Mac computer I am not able to text them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.