Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has the latest security update 2/6/2012)just crashed my Mac?

My computer (Mac Mini) Running the latest ver of Snow Leopard Just downloaded and installed a security update and Remote client something and when it rebooted it just never came back up. It's been in the boot up mode(Apple Logo and spinning loading symbol) for over 3 hours now.

Who wrote this security update? Someone from Microsoft?

My Mac was running just fine and now it reminds me of my last Windows machine (Not Operating that is!) What gives? Anyone else having problems?

Ron

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Security downloaded itself and inst

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:12 PM

12 replies

Feb 7, 2012 8:16 AM in response to HMBGENO

Hi,

I got the same issue as you, the spinning wheel! Fortunatly I had a backup with Time Machine.

You know what, I did it twice... It's a lot of wasted time you know.

I know there is a patch, the version 2012-001 1.1 but, I don't really want to try it for now

It's the first time I have such issue with the software update.

What's happening to Apple???

Sorry, I don't have any answer for you.

For me, it's just wait and see!

Feb 7, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Tiko Rush

At least Apple released the patch within 3 days of the release of the bad Security Update. That's not the first time it has happened. 10.2.7 was patched a week afterwords with 10.2.8. iTunes 2.0.0 was patched shortly after a data loss bug was found. Yes, occasionally Apple does make mistakes, but at least it does own up to them. If you choose not to install the patch, at least you have a backup. Some who don't have found the patch worked just fine for them. Point is, backup before you install anything. You never know when a third party is out of sync with Apple, or Apple is out of sync with a third party. Only by backing up can you ensure that you will always be prepared.

Feb 7, 2012 8:39 AM in response to Tiko Rush

Within our company, we experienced a few instances of the Security Update 2012-001 v1.0 problems, mostly the rosetta issue. The other systems didn't get the updates until v1.1. And now we're experiencing other problems since this one.

I ran a few hours yesterday after installing the Security Update 2012-001 v1.1 with no noticable sign of any problems. The install included a reboot. And it seemed fine.

I logged out lastnight and today, it's almost unrecoverable. Slow. Crashing. Disk Utility reporting pages of errors including "ACL found but not expected." I'm not too concerned with the listing of a warning. I'm concerned with the non-functional systems since the updates.

I suspect there will be a v1.2 or v2.0?

10.7 is already not an option considering the abrupt neutering of Rosetta and the "no discs" issue. This is an enterprise environment. Why does it seem that Apple is nugding us out?

Feb 7, 2012 9:27 AM in response to a brody

They did release a fix quickly, but while it may have fixed Rosetta, it has (at least for me, and others) created all new problems. So, will there be another one tomorrow, I hope so. My Safari has been freezing or crashing 3-6 times a day, videos take forever, or won't load at all, spinning wheels as I type, etc. I recently uninstalled & re-installed the most recent flash player, to see if that might make a difference. The RAM usage has been from 2.5-2.7 GIGS, as well..

Feb 7, 2012 9:49 AM in response to Saxman

Well if you have an issue with an update, submit a bug report to by signing up http://developer.apple.com/ and submitting to http://bugreporter.apple.com/ If you can isolate it to an individual application or driver, inform its developer to do the same. This is just a user to user forum, and while surveyed by Apple from time to time, repair requests through AppleCare and http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and the above bugreporter seem to get much greater clout.

Mar 26, 2012 8:54 PM in response to HMBGENO

I did the update last night and now my entire MacBook will not start up. Where do I go from here? I'm not sure if my time machine captured all of my photos and data. So I am afraid to use the grey disks. The apple store is over 60 miles away from me. Help! I had the same problem with my PC. That's why I switched to a Mac! Where do I go from here?

Why has the latest security update 2/6/2012)just crashed my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.