Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB protection on Mac

Hello I am in Uganda and i would like to know how to have selective control over my USB and cd/dvd drive?

I have a macbook pro 15' running on 10.6.8 and i share it with a group off people but when i am not around they take Data off it. how can i use it with them but control the flow of Data even in my absence

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 10:37 PM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2012 4:01 AM in response to samibanda

If they have physical control of the Mac, there's not much you can do to prevent that.

You could disable the USB IO kexts (you'll have to google for that as I don't know which ones and how).

Do they require access to the data you don't want them to download? Even if you disable the ports, if they can access the data, they can just upload it to an ftp server somewhere else.

You can prevent them accessing the data by storing it in an encrypted disk image. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1578

USB protection on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.