Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Master ToC Construction

Additional thread with questions about ToC:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3685186?tstart=0

I am trying to acheive what I am calling a "master Table of Contents" for an entire book. What I am generating are Table of Contents for Chapters only.

The ToC I am aiming for will look like this:

Book Title

Copyright

Dedication

Acknowledgements

Publisher's Statement

Title Page

Book Introduction

Chapter 1

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

Section 4

Chapter 2

Section 1

Section 2

Chapter 3

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

Chapter 30

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

Section 4

Afterward

Glossary

Index

I have read through the help files on Table of Contents – http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2752?viewlocale=en_US – but I am not acheiving what the photo on the page implies is possible. What is the flaw in my workflow? Thanks in advance. - Fabe

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:36 AM

14 replies

Feb 7, 2012 9:03 AM in response to Fabe

I may be wrong, but aren´t you suppose to choose what kind of "section" the book is suppose to be? The title is its own page, but you have to set the pages in chapter and THEN in sections. When you press the "+" you can choose if you want it to be a chapter or just a page. If you choose "chapter" press "+" again to create a page within the chapter.

I THINK it´s the only way to do it. I may be wrong, so if any one have an idea on how to to it, please reply. I am curious to:)

Feb 7, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Fabe

You can not have a "master" TOC page that has all chapters in the book.

IBA has a different TOC page for each chapter. (built on the fly with current chapter sectons)

so if you have 5 chapters in your book you will have 5 TOC pages that contain only the sections of each current chapter.

to get to the different TOC pages you swipe through the TOC pages or click on the dots at the bottem in the black bar.

Feb 7, 2012 11:06 AM in response to Barnheisel

Barnheisel, you are the bearer of bad news. By this method a books ToC on iAuthor would have to be:

Chapter

Section 1

Heading 1

Heading 1

Section 2

Heading 1

Heading 1

Section 3

Heading 1

Heading 1

Section 30

Heading 1

Heading 1

Fini

This willbe changed in iBook Author 1.1 don't you think?

Feb 7, 2012 11:29 AM in response to Fabe

For landscape mode yes, for Portraite mode the first list will work

also note, the headings will not appear in on the TOC page only the Section titles.

What you can do is:

use a Preface page instead of a chapter page (That way it does not say "chapter & Setion" in the pop up black title bar. and rename sections "chapters"

so internaly the app thinks it is

Preface

Section 1

Heading 1

Heading 1

Section 2

Heading 1

Heading 1

Section 3

Heading 1

Heading 1

But visualy what you see is

Book title(or what ever)

Chapter 1

Heading 1

Heading 1

Chapter 2

Heading 1

Heading 1

Chapter 2

Heading 1

Heading 1

There may be a way to get it to work how you originaly want, but I have not found it.

Hopefully in the next version the TOC stuff that works in protrait will also work in Landscape.

Also in the help file it says adding paragrah styles to the TOC pane in the inspector only works in Portrait mode

not in landsacpe mode.

So it is all working correctly according to the help file.

Apr 2, 2012 10:14 AM in response to Fabe

I found a little partal workaround for the TOC problem in Landscape mode.

I set out to achieve a TOC that would show when I "exported" the iba file to a PDF. It's hard for people to help "edit" the book without a printed TOC...

So.. I nested a blank page right after the copyright. Essentially it's a "first page" and comes before the preface, introduction, etc.

Then.. I took screen shots of the thumbnail column along the left. Those had chapter names and page numbers along with the thumbnail.

I pasted those screenshots into a single Photoshop image, did some cropping, etc, and Eureka, I had an image of a sort-of master TOC. Then I pasted that image into my blank page at the top of the document.

Key tip: insert the blank page first, or all the page numbers will be off by 1 if you insert it later.

No "Sections" this way, but at least it's a guide that prints.

Master ToC Construction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.