Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any issues using FreeAgent Desk with Time Machine?

I have a Free Agent Desk product #9ZC2AG-501, 1 TB.

I reformatted it for HFS+ and use it on USB (this model only has a USB interface) with a hub and my Mac Book Pro running Lion (10.7.2).

Although I have observed this "problem" with previous O/S versions I think it is happening more often now.

Time Machine will make the initlial backup fine (takes 6-8 hours), then it will make incremental backups fine for several weeks, maybe 2 months.

Then I will get a TM error. And next reboot, I will usually get a "OSX Can't fix this drive.." error message - I can see a disk repair task runs first, I assume the O/S does a check before it mounts the drive. Sometimes if I run Disk Utility and ask it to verify or repair the drive or volume it completes and the drive works again.

More often latelty, it will tell me it can't fix the drive and I should save what I can and start over.

Since its a backup anyway, I just erase or re-partition it and TM starts up again.

And the scenario repeats.

The drive errors varry. Usually very drastic-looking things like "scrambled index" or "corrupted index" or "invalid structure".

I don't see how or why an external drive would care what O/S is being used with it. But I would like to know if there is some deep technical reason this model cannot be used with Time Machine? So I can either fix it or know to give up.

The USB info for the hub and drive is:

Hub:

Product ID: 0xf103

Vendor ID: 0x2001 (D-Link Corporation)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0xfa400000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

FreeAgent :

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,884,992 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk1

Product ID: 0x3008

Vendor ID: 0x0bc2 (Seagate LLC)

Version: 1.38

Serial Number: 2HC015KJ

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Seagate

Location ID: 0xfa430000 / 5

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 2

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

disk1s1:

Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)

BSD Name: disk1s1

Content: EFI

RcookeBU:

Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)

Available: 644.05 GB (644,050,997,248 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk1s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/RcookeBU

Content: Apple_HFS

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), (plus other hardware and systems)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:48 AM

12 replies

Feb 7, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Shootist007

Thanks for the response!

I saw that too, but this drive is not in the "GoFlex" family. Its older.

Which could be good or bad since I notice Seagate is promoting the GoFlex line as MAC compatible, although the only difference in the "MAC" version of the product is it comes pre-formatted for HFS+.

And their website now has helpful instructions on how to use "any" Seagate product with OSX Lion by reformating to HFS+.

None of which sheds any light on why the drive would care what O/S is sending it data?

Feb 7, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Richard E. Cooke

I've been using a 1.5TB Free Agent (Seagate) drive solely as a Time Machine backup since May, 2010. I have had very rare hiccups: fewer than 10 failed backups, but these were cleared easily by disabling TM, "ejecting" the drive, then reversing the process. In sum: great success.

Sorry to say, you may have a lemon drive or maybe something as mundane as a bad cable. Try a new cable, and connect directly to the Mac, not through a hub. If it isn't a big financial hardship, I'd put that suspect drive aside and start again with a completely new one.

Note: typically these external drive boxes contain a power source and some USB electronics, plus the completely independent disk drive itself. The power source or USB electronics are most likely to be at fault. The disk drive itself may be fine.

As far as I know, almost any USB drive may be used with MacOS.

HTH

Feb 16, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Richard E. Cooke

I have this same drive. It's a USB drive intended for PCs not Macs. At the time, Seagate offered Free Agent drives specifically for Macs. They weren't just pre-formatted to HFS+. They also came with different energy-saving settings in the firmware. The Free Agent Desk for PC that you and I have has additional energy-saving features designed for Windows-only. When used with a Mac, the drive will "sleep" or spin-down at the wrong time, even during Time Machine backups, resulting in file system corruption on the Seagate drive.

Seagate support recommended disabling the drive's sleep features using a Windows utility, but that didn't actually solve the problem. In fact, there is no way to completely eliminate the problem, but you can reduce it greatly by disabling sleep and hard disk sleep on your Mac (via System Preferences).

For me, disabling sleep completely allows me to use Time Machine on the disk, but clones will still fail periodically.

You can try to live with it or put it on Craigslist and sell it to someone with a PC.

Jul 6, 2012 2:25 PM in response to Richard E. Cooke

I have this exact same issue and it is aggravating. I too thought it shouldn't matter as long as the disk was formatted correctly. I chatted with Seagate support and they sent me the link to disable the sleep function. And while it helped a little, it did not solve the problem. My external drive ejects periodically and it has errors all the time. So I run disk utlity after awhile and fix them and every now and then, just erase and start over. It doesn't give me much confidence in my back-up.

I think Gunny Sack nailed this. I was too cheap to buy a Mac Seagate drive for $60 more and I won't make that mistake again. The aggravation is not worth it.

Jul 6, 2012 2:33 PM in response to know1der

know1der wrote:

I think Gunny Sack nailed this. I was too cheap to buy a Mac Seagate drive for $60 more and I won't make that mistake again. The aggravation is not worth it.

Doesn't matter if it is for Mac or Windows. It's all dependent on the format of the drive. A drive is a drive is a drive is a drive. The same drives used in all Mac computers are the same as drives used in all Win PC computers. There is NO difference except for the format.

Your mistake is the firewire port and it really isn't your fault. I have a Seagate FW + USB base that I can plug any SATA drive into and whenever I try to use it with Firewire the thing always disconnects at some point. Using the USB side it never disconnects. Not sure if it is Apple or Seagate that is at fault. I lean to the Apple side.

Firewire is a DEAD technology and poorly implemented on the newer Mac's.

Jul 6, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Shootist007

Nope Shootist, I'm using USB.

From Gunny Sack:

Seagate support recommended disabling the drive's sleep features using a Windows utility, but that didn't actually solve the problem. In fact, there is no way to completely eliminate the problem, but you can reduce it greatly by disabling sleep and hard disk sleep on your Mac (via System Preferences).

This has been my exact experience and I'm with Gunny on this.

I agree that a drive is a drive is a drive - that's why I bought what I did. That being said, I've run this down with everyone knowledgble, from Apple to Seagate to Genius' to other people who I know are extremely proficient at this and they all concur, there is something hard coded in the Seagate that will not give it up 100%.

Jul 6, 2012 3:02 PM in response to Shootist007

I don't understand why it matters. Seagate must have done something really "special" to this drive to make it work better with Windoze.

Being Windoze only, it only has a USB interface.

I've never had a problem with FW drives - that didn't turn out to be a bad cable or bad drive.

Since I posted this thread, I gave up on this drive. I formated it for EXT32 and use it at work to backup Windows laptops.

Zero problems so far.

Jul 6, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Hen3ry

Oh yeah, swapped cables several times. Cables would work error-free with everything else.

I bypassed the hub too. In fact, I tried every USB jack I have. Same problem on all jacks, hub or no hub, any USB cable.

Its got to be something in the drive's firmware or electronics. Actually, I guess the electronics because they would have released new firmware if they could fix it, right?

I've never seen or heard of a USB drive that "cared" what O/S it was used with. Thats why I suspect it has to be a Microsoft Optimisation that breaks one or more standards.

Any issues using FreeAgent Desk with Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.