Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have to force quit safari every day

Every day I have to force quit Safari. Here is what happens. I work at my computer. I have about 15 or so Safari windows open which I need for my work. One of them is KTSY, which I like to listen to as I work. So I listen to KTSY over the internet.

When I go to shut down for the day, I dont close Safari. I just shut down. I need to have all of my windows for Safari open up just as they were the next morning.

• When I choose Shut Down, I get a message that says Am I sure I want to leave the page. I choose yet and I get the spinning cursor. Then I get a message that I Safari stopped the shut down.
  • Quit in Safari is greyed out. So my only choice is to Force Quit Safari.
  • Once I do that, I can shut down normally.

But here is what happens the next day.

• I turn on the mac
  • Safari open up with about 5 or 6 blank windows
  • I choose Reopen all windows from Last session under History
  • All of my windows from yesterdaty open just fine, just the bank windows also remain open
  • So I have to go through all the blank windows and close them 1 by 1
  • Then all the windows that opened up are stacked on top of each other.
  • I have to go through them 1 by 1 and choose the arrows in the corner to get them to seperate so I can see them all as I need to in mission control

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix this?

Phillip

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 8:15 AM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2012 8:21 AM in response to needsmet

Certain things are not fully compatible with certain browsers. It's likely that the KTSY page or another that you use every day is the culprit; it doesn't "like" Safari for some reason. You might try another browser, such as Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. You could use the other browser just for KTSY and continue to use Safari for everything else.

It's very unlikely, but some component in Safari could be missing or damaged. You might try installing the last combo updater (link below). Repair permissions before and after installing the combo update.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

You might consider getting in touch with KTSY and reporting the problem to them. They might be able to replicate the error and then work on a fix from their end.

Finally, consider just putting your Mac to sleep at the end of the day and waking it up at the beginning of the next working day, instead of shutting it down at the end of each day. This will not use much more electricity, and you can pick up exactly where you left off with no waiting for shut down in the evening or boot up in the morning.

Feb 7, 2012 8:55 AM in response to John Hammer1

I will try that. Its probably KTSY that is causing Safari to throw up. But it does seem weird that I cant go in and quit Safari. And also that when it opens up, it opens up all these blank windows.

But I think part of the problem is that I use, what is called Full Screen mode. It looks like Full Screen mode is still pretty buggy. When I dont use Full screen, things seem to work better.

I have to force quit safari every day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.