Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browser Buttons Issue - Maybe Java or JS related? Please help - VERY frustrating

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for your help.

I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8. Stats are at the bottom of this post, sans serials and UUID.

Currently, across all browsers and even in certain apps, various buttons will not work when clicked. The animation of the button being pressed and releasing occurs, but there is no progress to whatever it is the button is designed for.

The "open link in new tab" option when CTRL - Clicking doesn't work either.

Some examples of problem software and sites includes:

Vuze - When restarting, I'm prompted to update. Clicking the button yields no response.

Groupon - When landing on the front page, you're asked to confirm your city. Clicking the city does not bring me to the next page.

www.thedarkknightrises.com - the trailer will not load, and the viewing options and close buttons do not respond.

There are other work related problems on my OpenX ad serving platform, as well as some wordpress plug-in issues.

I've done a bit of research, and it appears there might be a java or javascript issue. I've checked for updates and run through the normal trouble shooting steps of installing java and javascript again, but i've seen no improvement. There is probably something glaring I am missing, but I'm getting nowhere and falling behind on some projects.

Please help! Short of upgrading to Lion in hopes that it will overwrite some preferences and reinstall new files, or re-installing the OS (which I don't currently have discs for), I don't know what to do.

If I can provide any additonal information, please let me know. Below is an example of a constant error that is looping in the "Consol" app.

2/7/12 11:59:41 AMcom.apple.launchd[1](com.google.keystone.daemon[2597]) posix_spawn("/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/C ontents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateDaemon", ...): No such file or directory

2/7/12 11:59:41 AMcom.apple.launchd[1](com.google.keystone.daemon[2597]) Exited with exit code: 1

Mac Macbook Pro Java Java Script JS Error

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B24

SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

Serial Number (system): ----------

Hardware UUID: ---------

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Problems across all browsers

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 9:02 AM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2012 9:55 AM in response to bernardfrompennsauken

Currently, across all browsers and even in certain apps, various buttons will not work when clicked.

Which browsers; which apps (aside from Vuze), which buttons?

I've done a bit of research, and it appears there might be a java or javascript issue. I've checked for updates and run through the normal trouble shooting steps of installing java and javascript again, but i've seen no improvement.

You don't install JavaScript; it's built into Mac OS X. Vuze is a Java application, and as such it's prone to crashing, as well asb eing slow and unresponsive.

Try creating a test user account and see if any of these problems occur there; if they do, then we know it's a systemwide issue. Otherwise it's something specific to your regular account.

Feb 7, 2012 11:24 AM in response to bernardfrompennsauken

and i did that manual java update from the site after all this started happening....

Okay, but you can't update Java from that site, so whatever you downloaded and installed from there either contributed to the problem, or exacerbated it. Do not try to do things like this; that's why Apple provides Software Update, and why that site clearly says that Apple provides all Java updates for Mac OS X.

Do you have a complete, bootable backup from before this problem started happening?

As for your browser issues, do you have Java enabled in them because you're actually visiting sites that use it, or because it's the default configuration? If the latter, turn off Java. Very few sites use it, so there's no need to enable it unless you are going to visit a site that requires it.

Browser Buttons Issue - Maybe Java or JS related? Please help - VERY frustrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.