Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover accidentally deleted mailbox from Backup Drive?

I posted a reference to this in another, tangentially-related thread, but no response, so here goes...

After installing 10.7.3 last night I encountered problems with Mail "losing" my password. In an attempt to fix that, I inadvertently deleted one of my mailboxes. I have no Time Machine drive in place, but I do have a backup boot drive which still boots in 10.7.2.

My question is, how can I get the "lost" mailbox into Mail on my 10.7.3-running Mac HD from the 10.7.2 backup drive?

Any suggestions gratefully received

Jim

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 9:33 AM

15 replies

Feb 7, 2012 9:55 AM in response to keg55

Thanks for your responses, guys

Glenn Leblanc-

It was an inbox, a POP type, bringing mail from my web host

keg55-

I thought of doing that, but I can't access the user/Library folder on the backup.

As it's reaally all history stuff, I'm wondering if I can do something like this:

Boot from Backup drive, open Mail and Export the relevant Mailbox to a blank partition (I have one for a Photoshop scratch disc)

Re-boot from main Mac HD, open Mail and Import Mailbox from the blank partition. It'll then sit in the Import section of the l/h panel

Will that work, do you think?

Jim

Feb 7, 2012 11:09 AM in response to Jim Stewart1

Quit Mail. Open up Keychain. Find the password for that Mail account for incoming mail server. Delete it. Open Mail and enter the password when asked and save to KeyChain. Open Mail preferences for that account and the password should be there. If not, put it in and save.

If you still have problems, use the Rebuild Mailbox feature under Mailboxes in the menu.

Feb 8, 2012 9:55 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Well, I spent several hours on this today, with the support of my web host (the excellent 3dpixelnet.com), and in the end it came down to a choice between a complete trashing of my Keychain, or a workaround. Nothing I did would get the server to accept my password, and it seems likely something got corrupted when I installed 10.7.3

So in the end I went for a workaround: on the server control panel, I added a new email account at the same domain. I then put a re-direct on the account that was giving the problems, to the new account.

Back in Mail, I set up the new account, and it now receives emails from the old and new accounts. In Mail, the old account is still there, but stays offline. And so it shall be, ever after...

All this has me wondering if my mistake was to do the upgrade in Software Update. In the past I've never used it - I've always gone for the combo update .dmg downloaded from the Apple>Support>Downloads. But this time, it looked like Software Update was offering the combo upgrade, not the stand-alone as it's done in the past. So I went with it, took the gamble, and lost!

Won''t be doing that again

Thanks again to Glenn and keg55

Jim

Feb 8, 2012 10:15 AM in response to Jim Stewart1

Well, I'll say I have always used the software update in the past. Only once did I have to download the Update from the Apple site to correct problems.

This made the second time. I updated using software update and it crashed my computer. I had to long into my cloned drive and download the Combo Update and reinstall it again. That solved my problem.

Note: Apple has put a newer Combo Update since the original, even though it still shows the same date.

So, it won't hurt to download it and reinstall it over the software update version. The build version should change.

I think Apple still has a way to go on correcting minor issues that still seem to happen.

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2012 1:47 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

That's interesting Glenn, and I never knew you could do that in About This Mac!

However, the build number I have is the same as in your screenshot, so I don't think I'll do anything to rock the boat further at this stage. Eveything seems to be running quite smoothly for now, at least on my old wired-in MacPro.

Given what I've seen in this forum about problems with wifi and bluetooth, though, I think I'll leave my wife's Mac Mini on 10.7.2 for a while - and definitely use the combo download when I do upgrade it!

Jim

Recover accidentally deleted mailbox from Backup Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.