Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple Apps for those with mild dementia / Alzheimer's?

Hi,

I've been looking for some apps suitable for my dad who has dementia. He's quite young, and the only resources I can find regarding iPads and those with dementia are aimed at elderly people in the later stages of the disease. We've bought him an iPad as it's much easier for him to use than a laptop, and so far he is enjoying it and can use it himself fine.

Apps that he particularly likes are Fotopedia and 123D Sculpt (although this is a bit complex for him) so anything along the lines of photography, pictures, drawing etc would be appreciated, as long as it's very easy to use - I've looked into getting Brushes but am worried it will be too hard. He also browses eBay and Amazon etc, and iPlayer. When it comes to skill level, it needs to be something with really basic controls, not too many fiddly details and design options.

Any suggestions are welcome as I'm really struggling to find anything relevant or helpful online.

Thanks!

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 2:04 PM

2 replies

Feb 7, 2012 2:53 PM in response to daisy259

There are many App's that you can find under games or educational categories on the app store (such as "Sentence Maker"). Another suggestion that won't really "answer" your question is that if your father is continuity pressing the home button while in the game, which quits it, I would recommend that you purchase BubCaps, a rough cover which will make it harder for one to press the home button. You can find these on http://bubcap.com/

- Ryan Schiffer

Sep 7, 2012 6:22 PM in response to daisy259

Mom has been living with me for a month now, with dimentia. She has ceased to do activities that were dear to her, reading, watching tv, or crossword puzzles. I downloaded a children's crossword puzzle on my ipad and showed her how to use the app. She was confused, but kinda got the idea of it. Confusing words was normal for her. But the first time at it, she spent two hours and kept saying this is a great game. Before going to bed she asked if she can play again tomorrow. I guess we have to go forward in baby steps, and I feel that the ipad was a great leap forward for Mom. I'm going to look tonight for other areas of the ipad that can benefit hr. I told her it was her physical therapy for her memory. I remember my Dad telling me - if you don't use it, you lose it.

Simple Apps for those with mild dementia / Alzheimer's?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.