Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes installation?

Hi all,

I recently bought a new iphone 4s and wold like to download itunes which downloaded just fine except that halfway through the installation it stops and displays the message below and then does not allow me to complete the installation.

"There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Can anyone help me figure out what this message means and how i may overcome this problem in order to successfully complete Itunes.

I might add, i am not a computer expert and only have a very basic knowledge of how computers run.

Any help is much appreciated.

Jkitch

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 2:42 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2012 2:46 PM in response to Jkitch

The only way I have been able to get a Windows Vista machine to install iTunes is to download iTunes, then restart the machine, login as admin, run the iTunes installer, when it completes, switch user to my standard user account.

Windows leaves a lot of installers, especially anti-virus if you have a subscription service for that, running in the background. You have to restart to terminate them.

Feb 7, 2012 3:10 PM in response to Jkitch

"There is a problem with this windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Perhaps let's first try updating your Apple Software Update.

Launch Apple Software Update ("Start > All Programs > Apple Software Update"). Does it launch and offer you a newer version of Apple Software Update? If so, choose to install just that update to Apple Software Update. (Deselect any other software offered at the same time.)

If the ASU update goes through okay, try another iTunes install. Does it go through without the errors this time?

Feb 7, 2012 3:51 PM in response to b noir

Hi B Noir,

You may have just helped me stumble onto the probalem as i dont have any pprograms called apple software update so this may be the program that is "required" to run. Im sorry to pester you further but could you please send me some kind of link to help me set this up? i really am quite useless at these kind of things hehe.

Jkitch

Itunes installation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.