Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loading Windows XP Media Center on iMac 24" Found

Hey all,

(This is actually a tip for loading Windows XP multi CD's into Macs).

After a massive hit by virus' and trojans that couldn t be removed (in the Windows XP side of Bootcamp), I purchased and installed a 2 Terrabyte HD and went to reinstall everything.

Well, as some of you may have found, reloading Windows XP with Lion OSX isnt possible. The Lion OS will not see the Win XP CD.

Second, bootcamp will no longer cover/support Windows XP, so no drivers from online Apple sites.

Third, you will find that Windows XP Media Center and XP Pro which have two CD's, will not be able to be loaded, only CD1 as you cannot eject the CD during the process of loading windows.

However, I found a work around, thank the good Lord above.

Reload Apple OS to either Leopard or Snow Leopard (this is a must, and if you cannot do this, dont, as you will be losing all your data. But if you are reloading everything, it will not matter). So, reload Leopard. Hold on Lion.

Next, make a folder on your desktop in Apple and copy/paste the files/folders from your Windows XP CD1, and then CD2 into that folder. Now, place a DVD in your SuperDrive, go into your folder with the Windows files and copy/paste all of them into the new DVD, burning a DVD that has all the files in it. I had a third CD in my Windows XP Media Center that had extra optional files. I paced those in there too.

Next, boot up your BootCamp, start the process, dial in your size of the hard drive space you will use, activate the system, bypass the windows data download as they no longer support WinXP, load in your CD1 Windows XP, (not your composite disc).

Now, you will let Windows load up till it reboots. When it reboots, you will need to eject the CD when its booting back up to finish the installation. When its off, and restarts, hold down the Eject button on the apple keyboard, ejecting the CD1 of Windows. Take out the CD, and place your 'composite' CD of all 2 or 3 discs in there. When Windows asks for the CD with Windows SP2 on it, push in the CD composite you made. All files will be on there.

When Windows fires up new and alive, you will then place your iMac CD load disc (CD1) into the slot. Remember, you can only eject the CD's when the iMac is booting up, as the firmware in the logic board can read 'eject button' from the Apple keyboard, but WIndows cannot, so you must eject when its loading, holding down the key for nearly a min. If you miss it, restart the computer. I had to reload windows several times, getting all this to work. But with this system, you should be able to do it in one scenario. So, in a nutshell, if you forgot to take out the Composite CD you made, and you are in Windows, fully running, you must reboot to eject the CD.

Next, with WIndows installed and running, you will place CD1 of your iMac system (mine is Leopard), and place that in the drive. It will then load up all the drivers and activate all the equipment that is in the computer (such as the eject key) and when its done, reboot. You will now have the full version of Windows, all equipment shown in the system (GC, drivers, etc).

Next, you would go back into Apple and update to Lion. If you dont have Lion, get it, its great. You 'cannot' get this to work with Lion OS though. You must have a older Apple version, such as Leopard or Snow Leopard. When you are done, 'then' udpate to Lion.

Note, to load up to a version of OS, when rebooting, hold down the 'option' key. It will take a while, then the option of two different OS's will appear. Select, hit Enter, and you are good to go. (I was stuck in Windows bootup loops and needed to get into Apple, and this is how you do it).

This saves you from having to buy Windows 7. Many older programs will not run in Windows 7, so if you need your Windows XP back, this should save you the hassle, and if you want Windows XP Pro or Media Center (2CD systems plus data CD).

I just want to thank Jesus for this rescue. I owe Him immensely. I hope this helps people out.

Bill

LHC

iMac 24; iPhone 3Gs; iPad 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Mac Enthusiast

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 4:17 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2012 1:20 PM in response to lionheart_001

Note, in case its not noted above.

* I could not use Fat32 file formatting when setting up WIndows on Bootcamp. It failed every time. I spent hours trying to make it work and it didnt. I had to go with NTFS at the end and it worked immediately. Apple cannot write to NTFS, so that was grim, but at least Windows works.

* Note that you put in your 'composite CD' with all files on it 'after' WIndows does its first reboot, during the setup process. It asks for the Windows SP2 disc. Place your composite CD in then. You must eject the first Windows CD when this happens when the new Windows setup mode OS starts up again. This is the only window where disc-eject will work, so if you miss it, reboot again until you get the CD out, then place the composite CD in the slot and get ready to slide it all the way in when Windows Setup requests it.

Bill

Loading Windows XP Media Center on iMac 24" Found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.