Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I create additional IDs but use one iTunes account on multiple devices to purchase music?

Is it possible to have a "family" iTunes account that we all share but have a different Apple ID for 2 daughter's iPods and a different Apple ID for mom's iPhone?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:24 PM

11 replies

Feb 7, 2012 6:50 PM in response to sprmom98

Only iTunes running on a computer can be authorized to use more than one Apple ID. I don't know what the limit is if there is one.

iOS devices* can only be configured to use one Apple ID for use with the iTunes Store. (However, a separate Apple ID can be used for iCloud services like mail, calendar, contacts etc., but that is a separate issue.)

Home Sharing can only be configured to use one Apple ID at a time so if you want to use Home Sharing to connect an iOS device to an iTunes library or to connect multiple computers to an iTunes library you can only do it with one Apple ID.

So, with all that in mind, yes you can create separate Apple IDs for everyone but it will affect what you can do with the apps and media you purchase from iTunes. If everyone shares a family account then there will be no restriction on who can play, install or share the media or apps. If you create separate accounts there will be restrictions on what can be shared or installed on the various devices.

A family will benefit from sharing a family account that everyone has access to. If you have parental concerns about restricting access to certain apps/media for younger children than a separate account shared by the children may be the answer.

*iOS devices are iPod Touchs, iPads, iPhones and Apple TVs.

Oct 20, 2013 3:21 PM in response to Gino Cerullo

This is in essence what I've done, Gino.But since I did create a separate account for my daughter's iPod so the controls on my AppleID are not the same as hers, how can I import her music and videos to my account and iTunes Library on my iMac to play and watch? I felt I was being smart creating her own account for this very reason of parental controls but cannot see how, when I log out of my Apple ID and then log back in as hers, how to transfer or share that music I bought for her. Can I and if so, how? Where are the instructions?

Thanks for letting me piggyback on this question!

Oct 20, 2013 3:43 PM in response to vazandrew

Yep. It's not clear because in iTunes, you see Itunes Store, then Purchased, then Purchased from my iPhone 4s. You do not see one for purchased from IPod, so it's not there and you have to dig for it. Wonder why it's not there as a quick pick? I mean, I also have purchases purchased on my iPad and that's not an option either. I have no devices connected or syncing now either.....just weird why it's not just right there with the others. You have to click on the iTunes Store, I was logged in as her, then went to purchased from there then selected "not on this computer" and downloaded via the iCloud.

And they are now in the overall Library.

I wish they made it a tad freaking easier to do that. I would imagine most people with kids would want this.

Oct 20, 2013 3:52 PM in response to vazandrew

I think I may. added functionality. The confusing part is even though on the left side/panel it has "Purchased" it doesn't actually apply to what you purchased on that account just when you go to the store, then "purchased" on each of your various accounts! Anyhow, I also jsut set all my devices to upload all updates to apps automatically and push all new purchases to all devices automatically. So maybe once I purchase from her iPod again, it will download here in the iMac (whichi is the only authorized computer on her account besides the iPod) automatically and this "searching" will go away. It's also my way to monitor what she has downloaded for free and then remove it as I want. LOL! I need a block button on an app. instead of just a rating block in parental controls.

How can I create additional IDs but use one iTunes account on multiple devices to purchase music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.