Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get menubar Spotlight (not Finder search) to show share point results on client machines?

I have a Mini Server running 10.7.3. It has three share points located on an external firewire RAID, all available via AFP only (not SMB). All my client machines run 10.7.3. The problem is, I still cannot search these shares using Spotlight in the menubar. I have tried all manner of permissions/acls, reindexing, user types, and re-sharing combinations, but nothing works.

I CAN search the share points quite reliably using Finder – by opening Finder, clicking on the server, mounting the share point, clicking in the search window, typing some text, selecting filename in the drop menu, and clicking Shared in the toolbar. Once I do all that the correct results appear quickly with little filesystem activity on the server, so presumably the client machines are able to access server-based the spotlight index on the server (a "find . -name xyz" takes much longer in terminal).

But I want to search the share points FROM THE MENUBAR or with the cmd-space shortcut. Doing so only ever produces local results.

Any idea how to make this work!!!???

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 8:58 PM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2012 4:27 PM in response to elmojnr

Yeah, I noticed on my setup that when I create a new share point the server adds an ACL entry to the top level of the share giving permission to _spotlight. These ACL permissions are set to inherit to new files and directories created on the share, but are not propagated to existing files or directories. Spotlight also seems to reindex the entire disk each time a share point is added, at least on 10.7.3 server.

Interestingly, when I tried manually propagating the _spotlight ACL through all the files and directories on the share it didn’t made any difference to spotlight’s ability to index the share or serve that index up to the clients through Finder. Neither did it make a difference when I stripped the ACL entires away entirely. Maybe my standard permissions are sufficient for mdworker to access the directories and files? They’re drwxrwx— and -rw-rw——-- respectively. When I screen share the server and click on menubar spotlight, it yields all the expected results too, I guess because the RAID is a local disk as far as the server is concerned.

Actually, I think in my case at least, the shares and server and permissions are all working just fine. The Finder result proves that it does all work as it should. The problem, I think, boils down to where menubar spotlight is looking for results. It’s like it is stuck on the equivalent of the “this mac” setting on the Finder search bar. I’ve searched com.apple.spotlight.plist and others files for a way to change the default search parameters for menubar spotlight, but can’t find anything that looks even slightly right.

Feb 22, 2012 12:26 AM in response to Community User

I just noticed something new. If one of my client machines stays connected to a share point for a long period (overnight for instance) and the client cycles through sleep and wake while connected, the results returned by Finder search does not reflect changes made to files on the share point after the sleep cycling event. It still returns results, just out of date results. For instance, after sleep, creating the file sample.txt on a share point and then using Finder to locate all shared files edited in the last day will not return sample.txt. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not fix the problem, neither does killing Finder, but rebooting the client fixes the problem immediately. That is, sample.txt will appears in the results right away.

Does anyone know if this is an mdworker issue on the client side? Any idea how to get up-to-date results without resorting to a reboot?

Feb 24, 2012 8:56 PM in response to Community User

Hey Vonkempnz,

I just came across something I didn't know about but you may have already tried in regards to propagating permissions.

After I have put all my old files into the share point on the server I went into the Server App.

1 - Open Server App

2 - Select the Hardware you are using (I have a Test MacMini)

3 - Select Storage

4 - Using the drop down arrow found the folder I have shared

5 - Click on the Cog down the bottom of the window

6 - Propagate Permissions

It's now giving all the files the _spotlight permission.

Nov 15, 2012 1:29 AM in response to evantklooster

No solution yet unfortunately. I've upgraded my client machines to Mountain Lion and tried a few other tweaks, but no change to the results returned by menubar spotlight. My mini server is still running Lion Server, so perhaps the situation will improve when I upgrade that side of things. I still reckon it should simply be a matter of pointing menubar spotlight at the share point rather than the local drive, but I read somewhere that location is baked into the Spotlight app and cannot be changed.

How do I get menubar Spotlight (not Finder search) to show share point results on client machines?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.