Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why after updating to 10.0.3

Every time I open a project I have to go through the whole rederring process again?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8), imac

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 11:54 PM

9 replies

Feb 8, 2012 12:23 AM in response to max glleeson

Sounds like you've got the same problem I have. Be prepared for a world of hurt with this latest bug courtesy of Apple. Since the update I haven't been able to work in any of my projects. All I do is get the spinning beach ball for the simplest of edits. Everything renders and then re-renders again and again.

None of the usual tips and tricks like tossing preferences, repairing permissions, reinstalling FCPX, duplicating a project and throwing the old one away (with the render files) has worked for me. If this doesn't get worked out in the next day I'll have to switch over to Premier Pro 5.5. It's on my system so it's not a big deal.

I don't know what it is, but Apple has seems to have lost their mojo. Whether it's Lion, FCPX or iOS they've just been pushing out one crappy release after another - and they're always so coy about it too. It's starting to get very old.

In any case, if anyone finds a solution please let me know. The clock is ticking.

Feb 8, 2012 1:41 AM in response to max glleeson

It is taking me 5-15 minutes to fully open FCPX. It has to load all my projects in the project library. I don't care to have all my projects opening at one time, just the one I need to work on. Geez!!!!

This whole FCPX is abysmal!!!! There are just a few things that Apple got right that when incorperated into a true update of FCP7 would have made it real nice, but that will never happen. 😟

Feb 8, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks, I have done that already. I have one project that is 2:45:00 minutes long.

It is absurd that I would have to go through this process of dragging and dropping to get FCPX to work correctly, when in the past I had a system, I'm sure we all did, go to a Client Folder > Project Folder > Open Project. I don't see the need of a project library and event library when all I want to see are the video files and "timeline" of the current project I want to work on.

The project library filmstrips are bugging me too. It only takes a little bit to load, but everytime I am in there it has to update. Is there a way to see projects in list view only to speed up the process of switching projects?

Feb 8, 2012 8:55 AM in response to tjwaido

You may want to try Steve Martin's disk image technique on Ken Stone's site. In short, you put your events and projects for a client on a disk image. When you need to work on that project, you mount its disk image. When you don't need to work on it, you unmount it.

We basically treat these disk images as if they're actually FCPX project files, storing them in clients' project folders along with their project files from FCP7, Premiere, After Effects, etc., and using the same file naming conventions we use with other project files.

Feb 9, 2012 8:16 AM in response to Rex Ross

If you're using Lion, you may need to hold the Option key when quitting (the "Quit" command changes to "Quit and Close All Windows"), otherwise Lion's Resume feature may mount the last disk images that were open.

You can disable Resume by going to System Preferences > General and unchecking "Restore windows when re-opening apps". However, this will disable Resume for all apps.

To disable Resume only for FCPX, you can use one of two methods:

In the Terminal:

Use the command:

defaults write com.apple.FinalCut NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

In the Finder:

1. Option-click the Go menu and choose Library
  2. Open the SavedApplicationState folder
  3. Open the "com.apple.FinalCut.savedState" folder and delete all the files inside of it
  4. Lock the "com.apple.FinalCut.savedState" folder (File > Get Info)

Note: If you've also used Final Cut Pro 7 in Lion, you'll probably see a "com.apple.FinalCutPro.savedState" folder, too, which you can ignore.

Why after updating to 10.0.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.