Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mount volume with alternative name?

I did this before by accident,

Currently on boot I run a simple applescript exactly like this

mount volume "smb://uranus/GEN/"

This mounts the volume as Gen

The keychain holds the passwords so I have no need to write username and psw into the applescript

I did it by accident before but I managed to give the drive a different name to GEN something like

mount volume "smb://uranus/GEN/" with label "WINDOWS VOLUME G"

Any suggestions how I might be able to do this?

Many Thanks

Matt

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:12 AM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2012 1:34 AM in response to MattJayC

I don't have a remote server to test this with, but I believe the syntax is as follows:

mount volume "Windows Volume G" on server "smb://uranus/GEN/"

If you put the path as the direct object parameter of the mount volume command it will extract the name of the volume from the path, but (if I'm reading the dictionary correctly) if you use the on server parameter you can use the direct object parameter to specify the alternate name.

Aug 22, 2012 5:37 AM in response to Andy-p

Never actually found a way round it, you can create an alias

Use the keyboard combination of Option+Command Key while dragging the icon to the desired location will create a fully functional alias for that Volume then it can be renamed, but that never really worked for me, so I just had to settle for the default name

Matt

Mount volume with alternative name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.