Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to import m2ts files into iMovie?

I have spent the afternoon reading various forums about converting m2ts files into iMovie. Transferring the files back onto the HD Sony Handicam is not an option. I therefore need to somehow convert the files as they stand. There seems to be 2 main options to convert files from .m2ts to .mov:

1. Download MPEG Streamclip; drag clips into window; export to QuickTime and choose Apple Intermediate Codec.

2. Download Clip Wrap ($50) to rewrap m2ts files into mov files.

It seems that option 2 is likely to be quicker and easier. Is this other people's experience? Any feedback would be extremely helpful.....I am a fairly new Mac user.

Cheers.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:25 AM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2012 6:38 AM in response to angelafromqld

MPEG Streamclip cannot do m2ts files.

Your options are ClipWrap and Voltaic HD. Both cost money but should work fine.

I believe Karsten Schlüter has posted some free alternatives on his website. Let me see if I can find his link.

Here it is. http://sites.google.com/site/karstenschluter/mts-to-mov

You should only need to do this for your existing files. For any files you shoot in the future, you can import them into iMovie directly from your camera, or easier still, from your SDHC card.

A good tip is to create an archive of your clips so that you have the original clips along with the original folder structure. That way you will not have to use ClipWrap or Voltaic on future shoots. You will find the Archive function on the iMovie Import screen when your camera is attached. I am in the habit of 1) creating an archive. 2) Importing to iMovie from the Archive. 3) Making a backup copy of the archive off-site 4) Only then, reformat the camera to clear it out for the next shoot.

What is the best way to import m2ts files into iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.