Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automator perpetually running on second action

Hi to anyone who may be able to help.

I had been using automator quite sucessfully until recently now I'm unable to get automator to step through even the most basic setup. It refuses to step through to the second action and perpetually runs without producing any results as the image below shows.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

For any of my automator setups I get results for the first step and then an indefinate hang on the second leaving the step icon greyed out.

User uploaded file

I have tried this with numerous other actions like calendars etc but to no avail. Below are the very basic automator steps I'm using in this example.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've looked everywhere for a solution to this but as yet am without an answer. Any information that could help would be greatly apprciated!

Thanks in advance,

Craig.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 12:58 AM

12 replies

Feb 8, 2012 1:47 AM in response to craigdpenn

well, I'll need to move over to my Lion partition to check, but this works fine on 10.6.8. it seems the problem is with the Filter Finder Items action (the first action completes properly) so it might be that the Filter action is broken under Lion.

However, I'll point out that there's a bug in your workflow. You really want to add a Get Folder Contents action after the first action; the filter action will only filter the items passed to it, it won't recurse into folders, so you're actually asking the workflow to look for Finder objects in the one-item list {~/Desktop} that have the jpg extension. the folder Desktop doesn't have an extension, and that might be confusing that action.

Feb 9, 2012 8:30 AM in response to craigdpenn

I'm not sure why permissions would keep the action from completing, but if it works...

That article is a bit goofy though - Access Control Lists are used in addition to the normal POSIX permissions to provide a finer or more customized access, but they are still permissions. There aren't any system-level vs user-level access rights - a singe permissions system determines who can access what across the entire file system, and ACLs can be used anywhere. Normally the only ACLs used in a user account are on the system created folders (to prevent "accidental" removal) and the Public/Drop Box folder (to give additional access to the dropped items), although Lion reverted the ability to propagate ACLs by using Get Info's "apply to enclosed items".

Feb 9, 2012 10:16 AM in response to red_menace

Hi red_menace. Thanks for the reply.

Even though the article has helped I think I may have pushed the correct answer button a bit prematurely. I'm not sure how to undo that unfortunately.

Initially Automator would not step past the first action. When I pushed run I got a -212 error with the following information.

spotlight failed to find fr_CA.lproj

Since following the instructions in that article Automator still is unable to step past the first action but is able to complete all actions when run.

Any ideas?

Craig.

Feb 9, 2012 10:31 AM in response to craigdpenn

That error looks like there is an application in the input list - the Get Folder Contents action will go into application bundles, which can have many, many files and folders. The error may also indicate a Spotlight issue since the Filter Finder Items action does use Spotlight to do its thing - for example, the database may be corrupt or incomplete, or the input items are from a disk or folder that is in Spotlight's privacy list.

Apr 3, 2012 4:39 PM in response to craigdpenn

Did you ever figure out what was happening here? I just upgraded to Lion and now I can't step through any workflow even *very* simple 2-step ones I create from scratch. I followed the instructions to reset ACLs but that had no effect on the automator issue. Below is an an example *very* simple workflow that I can't step through. Step hangs on the first action and the Step icon gets grayed out. Stepping through workflows worked fine for me yesterday when I was running Snow Leopard.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2012 4:22 PM in response to David Linder1

So, I have officially given up trying to get the Automator Step functionality to work in Lion. I have tried everything to remove any old configuration data in caches and other files that Automator reads in order to work around this problem (thinking it might be some weird configuration corruption that occured due to the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion). Still the Step funtionality failed. Then, I tried running very simple 2-step Automator workflows on 3 other machines running Lion (with completely different user environments than mine) and the Step function failed to work on all of those machines as well. So, this has got to be a bug. As a somewhat clumsy workaround I have added an Automator "Ask for Confirmation" action to my workflows after each step or set of steps which I am testing. Then, when I'm sure everything is working right, I disable all the "Ask for Confirmation" actions to create the final working version of the workflow.

Apr 17, 2012 10:46 PM in response to David Linder1

Sorry David. I missed your earlier post.

In a nutshell I still have exactly the same problem you do with automator not stepping through the script. I gave up and now just run the script with dummy files to test anything now. I like your idea of an "Ask for Confirmation" as a workaround. Thanks!

Even though it's very frustrating I'm glad it's not just me as it gives weight to it likely being a Lion bug.

cheers,

Craig.

automator perpetually running on second action

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.