Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External HDD shows up in Airport Utility but I have no access

Hi!

I connected my external HDD to the USB Port of my Airport Extreme.

It shows up in the utility but it´s grey and it does´nt show up in the finder …

The HDD is formatted in MAC OS JOURNALED format and it worked while connecting it directly to my mac.

I plan to perform my Time Machine backups with that.

Here´s a little picture that shows my problem.

Thanks for helping!User uploaded file

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:20 AM

The USB port on the AirPort Extreme is borderline as far as its ability to supply adequate power for hard drives. I've used 3-4 drives over the past few years with an AirPort Extrreme and almost always need to use a powered USB hub in this type of setup.....even if the hard drive has its own power supply.

Might help.

The format needs to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which may have been what you meant to say.

You might also want to keep in mind that Apple does not support Time Machine backups to a drive at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. Some users report that this does seem to work for them....some have some success...and some have little success.

The bottom line.....it might work, but overall this is not a reliable method to make Time Machine backups, so you might want to think about a secondary backup plan for your important data.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2012 5:20 AM in response to ionath

The USB port on the AirPort Extreme is borderline as far as its ability to supply adequate power for hard drives. I've used 3-4 drives over the past few years with an AirPort Extrreme and almost always need to use a powered USB hub in this type of setup.....even if the hard drive has its own power supply.

Might help.

The format needs to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled), which may have been what you meant to say.

You might also want to keep in mind that Apple does not support Time Machine backups to a drive at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. Some users report that this does seem to work for them....some have some success...and some have little success.

The bottom line.....it might work, but overall this is not a reliable method to make Time Machine backups, so you might want to think about a secondary backup plan for your important data.

Feb 8, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the fast reply!

It´s a 3,5" HDD so it has to be powered anyway.

I do also use a powered hub (cause i connect a printer additionally …)

I also tried connecting only the hard drive but it does not help.

the format is the one you mentioned.

The problem is that the hard drive does not even show up.

Performing backups would be great but i want to get acces to the drive first.

the partition is grey i think that indicates an error or is this normal?

Feb 8, 2012 5:40 AM in response to ionath

Couple of things....

You might want to download and install AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion , which offers far more functionality than AirPort Utility 6.0.

Take a look and if you like this version, you can keep it on your Mac and use it. You can have both 5.6 and 6.0 on your Mac (You cannot delete 6.0).

Next, where are you expecting the hard drive to "show up" on your Mac?

Feb 8, 2012 6:24 AM in response to ionath

You will not "see" the drive on the desktop.

Open Finder, then look for the AirPort Extreme icon on the left side of window under the SHARED heading.

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon and a folder representing the drive will appear just to the right

Double click the folder to mount the drive icon on the desktop

If you still don't see the drive....post back for more steps.

Feb 8, 2012 6:53 AM in response to ionath

I still can´t see it on my desktop but time machine found the volume.

Somehow, I imagine a default setting was changed

Click anywhere on the open desktop so that the Finder menus are displayed at the top of the screen

Click Finder, then click Preferences, then click General

Under the heading of "Show these items on the desktop", make sure that there is a check mark next to "Connected Servers"

Is there a way to "auto mount"?

You can have the drive mount on start up as follows:

Click System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Click Users & Groups

Click the Login Items tab (next to Password tab)

Click the + (plus) bottom at the bottom of the list

Navigate using the Finder like interface to select and highlight the hard drive

Click "Add" at the lower right

Regarding Time Machine backups.....I've tried this maybe 6 times in the last two years as a test and they have not been reliable. They work OK for a few weeks...sometimes even a month or two before I have corruption issues.

Disk Utility will fix them a few times, but after a few, it cannot and I have to start over again by erasing the drive and setting up Time Machine again. Then the same sequence repeats. Simply stated, I would not trust this method to back up my important data.

Maybe you will have better luck.

External HDD shows up in Airport Utility but I have no access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.