Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing iOS Apps

This has been covered many times before & I appreciate that it can't be done. But if I was to jailbreak my iPad could it be done then? Moving unwanted Apple iOS to a folder is not really a solution. I'd just like to be able to purge some of these useless apps from my device completely.

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:41 AM

13 replies

Feb 8, 2012 5:54 AM in response to Dogboy73

I assume you're talking about the built-in apps, and not apps that you have downloaded? The latter can, of course, be deleted, so if I'm wrong, say so.

Regarding the built-in apps, note that jailbreaking voids your warranty, I don't know whether it would let you delete those apps, and we're not supposed to discuss jailbreaking here anyway. Why do you feel such a need to delete those apps? You never know when one of them might come in handy - I've found occasional uses for apps that initially didn't seem useful to me - and you also never know what the effects on the overall system might be if you did manage to find a way to remove one of them. Just put them all in a folder, move that folder to its own page after the last page of apps you use and never go there. You'll almost forget they're there.

Feb 8, 2012 6:08 AM in response to thomas_r.

Yes, I was talking specifically about the built in Apps. I seem to have more & more of them (well, since the latest OS came out) that I just never use. Photo booth, Videos, Game Center, Face Time. I never use these Apps. The Camera App as well. The picture quality on the iPad is very poor so I never use this either. I've used Newsstand but I much prefer Zinio so that could go as well. Reminders could be useful but I've not used it yet.

The YouTube App as well. I find it better to have a shortcut to YouTube in Safari. I've got about 3 contacts in the Contacts App. Would get more use if I had an iPhone but I don't. Never really used Maps either. Again, might get more use on an iPhone for me. That's a lot of Apps to have on the thing that just don't get used! Would be good if there was a way to hide them from the desktop. Maybe they could be hidden completely rather than get deleted. That would be fine.

Feb 8, 2012 6:29 AM in response to Dogboy73

There's no way to hide those apps either, other than what was already mentioned.

Those are an awful lot of apps that you're not using! Note that the YouTube app is required for viewing YouTube content on an iOS device. Also note that the contacts app is very useful for storing contact information on any device, not just a phone. It can store other information besides just a phone number, like e-mail addresses and postal addresses, and it can sync with your computer. Maps is very useful even without GPS, because you can do stuff like search stuff near your current location (determined by the wireless network you're on)... for example, searching for "mexican food" drops pins on the map for relevant businesses near you.

I'd advise you to play around with some of the apps and see if you can find ways to make them work for you.

Feb 8, 2012 7:35 AM in response to thomas_r.

I am unsure what the issue is that makes "Dogboy73" wish to remove bundled appliactions.

If the issue is that there is a squeeze for memory then it seems removal is not an option, most of the benefit of Apple products is in the quality of the support, which Thomas A Reedquite rightly said, will be voided by jail-braking.

However if the issue is just having applications which do not add value, and are just noise on the interface the easy solution is to put all the "unwanted applications" in a single folder. Think of it as a trash can that cannot be emptied.

Feb 8, 2012 7:47 AM in response to paulfromzurich

paulfromzurich wrote:

I am unsure what the issue is that makes "Dogboy73" wish to remove bundled appliactions.

I simply don't use a lot of these. That's all. Just wondered if I could get rid of them for good as such. Seems that you can't, other than sweeping them under the carpet so to speak! Or with jailbreaking, which is not something I'd want to be doing even if my warranty had expired.

Feb 9, 2012 3:41 AM in response to Dogboy73

It is currently 1 year, but can be extended by another 2 (for a total of 3 years) by purchasing an AppleCare service plan. You'd have bo buy that within the period of your 1 year warranty. Don't get the idea, though, that this would protect you in the case of accidental damage - that isn't covered by any warranty. IMHO, if an iPad hasn't failed from a manufacturing defect in the first year, it's probably not going to, so I personally didn't bother.

Feb 9, 2012 4:11 AM in response to thomas_r.

Actually it can only be expanded to two years, not by two years. At least not how I read it.

With anyone, once their device is two years old they're on their own unless they've purchases some kind of extende warranty from a third party.

I do agree with and sympathize with the OP. I'd love re remove iMessage, Game Center, Facetime, Newsstand, iTUnes (I rip my own cd's I don't buy music). ANd I find that it makes no sense that all apps are 'sandboxed' and separate yet the reason for built in apps being non-deleteable is because they are all linked together....seems kinda contradictory to me.

However I also know that Apple is rather infamous for their 'use your device as we feel you should' attitude, and if you want to use their cool toys, you have to accept that attitude and make your own workarounds. You have to accept that the cool devices are made to facilitate the growth of the App and iTunes stores and that Apple likely makes more profit from them than they do the sale of devices. it's like the cell phone company giving you a good deal on a phone to make their profit off your monthly access fee.

I have all those apps (and even more on my iPod Touch) crammed in a folder on the back page and my biggest irritation is the insistence of Apple to keep pulling that danged Newsstand out of hte folder and cramming it on my screen every time I do anything with other apps. I wish newsstand was like iBooks, an option.

The chances of Apple changing their decades old attitude is slim, so as a user you either accept it and find a way to put yourself in a 'works for me' state, or you try devices by other manufacturers. I did consider that, but after struggling with my mom's e-reader and the complete chaos of the Android store, I'm not going to set myself up for that ridiculousness. Way too much work for me and not something I want to mess with. I will submit myself to Apple's attitude because I find dealing with workarounds to be less work than the utter chaos of that other system.

Feb 9, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Skydiver119

Skydiver119 wrote:

I do agree with and sympathize with the OP. I'd love re remove iMessage, Game Center, Facetime, Newsstand, iTUnes (I rip my own cd's I don't buy music). And I find that it makes no sense that all apps are 'sandboxed' and separate yet the reason for built in apps being non-deleteable is because they are all linked together....seems kinda contradictory to me.

However I also know that Apple is rather infamous for their 'use your device as we feel you should' attitude, and if you want to use their cool toys, you have to accept that attitude and make your own workarounds. You have to accept that the cool devices are made to facilitate the growth of the App and iTunes stores and that Apple likely makes more profit from them than they do the sale of devices.

I have all those apps (and even more on my iPod Touch) crammed in a folder on the back page and my biggest irritation is the insistence of Apple to keep pulling that danged Newsstand out of hte folder and cramming it on my screen every time I do anything with other apps. I wish newsstand was like iBooks, an option.

The chances of Apple changing their decades old attitude is slim, so as a user you either accept it and find a way to put yourself in a 'works for me' state, or you try devices by other manufacturers. I did consider that, but after struggling with my mom's e-reader and the complete chaos of the Android store, I'm not going to set myself up for that ridiculousness. Way too much work for me and not something I want to mess with. I will submit myself to Apple's attitude because I find dealing with workarounds to be less work than the utter chaos of that other system.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Absolutely spot on. My device, my Apps? No! Your device, Apple's Apps!! As you said, it's the Apple way & unlikely to change. But it is dissapointing that I can't take control of my device to do something as revolutionary as deleting a few redundant Apps!!! iTunes - that's another one I don't use. Never bought anything from there. Never bought an MP3! I still buy vinyl & CD's. I guess I don't fit into Apple's paraidgm fully! Newsstand is abysmal. As others have said it's not an App as such. More a collection of Apps - so each Newsstand item you download is it's own App! I really hate the way Newsstand works. I much prefer Zinio. Not that I buy a great deal of magazines electronically, which is another reason I'd like to just purge Newsstand from the device altogether .......... **** it! I'm going to look more into this jailbreaking thing! Sod it! I don't care about the warranty!

"I did it my way" ....... and not Apples 😉

Feb 9, 2012 9:07 AM in response to Dogboy73

Really? Really? You do know that jailbreaking is a hack, right? Why can't you just settle with the suggestion that has been given to you and move the apps to a folder on the last page?

You would really hack your device, become vulnerable to malware and spyware, make your OS unstable, just to delete some apps that Apple placed there because most people find them useful?

Really?

Feb 9, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Dogboy73

I really dont understand how a few apps that you never have to open or even look at could cause such strong feelings that you would be willing to make the possibly irreversible choice to jailbreak, voiding the warranty and exposing your iPad to malware (only a jailbroken iOS device can get malware at this time). Doing things "your way" without compromise is almost never possible in the modern world, and this is a very minor compromise.

All this complaining about Apple is pretty ironic, too... what about Microsoft, who has tied the most insecure browser on the planet into their system so tightly that it is impossible to remove? You simply can't escape that kind of thing unless you switch to something like Linux, and even then I'm sure there are things you can't or shouldn't remove.

Feb 10, 2012 3:55 AM in response to thomas_r.

You're right, guys. I really don't want to do this. Especially just to be able to delete a few redundant Apps. As I've said already I really think this is something you should be able to just do anyway! Or at least, as a compromise, have the ability to 'hide' these Apps from the desktop in the settings. I'd be happy with the Microsoft/IE solution to this problem 😉 In the mean time I've decided to create a folder for redundant & rarely used Apps that I may one day use at some point (on the day Satan will be skating to work). I'll label it 'Apple Gash', 'Rubbish' or maybe 'Recycle Bin' 😁 Happy now? Apple Fan Boys!!

Removing iOS Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.