Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging duplicate contacts

In Contacts, can you merge duplicate contacts with slightly different info?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 5

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 7:27 AM

8 replies

Aug 18, 2012 12:10 AM in response to Hctberg

I tried asking someone the same question and they figured merging the contacts would make sense (and it really does make sense to me or you can call me stupid... "MERGE") but it seemingly made the situation WORSE. Furthermore, now there are so many duplicates that too many important contacts have been deleted to make "room for the new". Actually, the new contacts I add never stick. They get deleted. It's the **** duplicates that haunt my iPhone.

Aug 21, 2012 9:37 PM in response to factorygirl

Are you using iCloud to store your contacts? If so, then shut off contacts in your Mail, Contacts & Calendar settings for that account, delete them, then turn them back on. Also, verify what your "Default" account is in the same setings area for new contacts.

Careful with the Facebook app. It seems to want to rename everything in your contacts if you allow it. Be very afraid of this "feature". Luckily I had a recent backup on my laptop.

Merging duplicate contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.