Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up Colorsync on my MacBook Pro? As my photos all print dark even when I use professional print labs. I use Aperture and Photoshop to edit RAW images from my Canon 5D and they look great on my Macbook. But I'm always so dissapointed with...

How do I set up Colorsync on my MacBook Pro? As my photos all print dark even when I use professional print labs. I use Aperture and Photoshop to edit RAW images from my Canon 5D and they look great on my Macbook screen, but I'm always so dissapointed with the results. Help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture. Canon5DII

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:21 PM

Hi. This is a _very_ common problem. Unfortunately, the only good solution is, at the low end, not inexpensive, and at the high end very expensive.

The only way to get reliable screen to print color matching is through the proper use of a hardware calibrator. Google "color calibration", as well as "colorimeter" and "spectrophotometer" for information. There are several reliable companies that supply equipment to photographers.

OS X has some color calibration built-in, but it is not hardware-based. You can find it as "System Preferences→Display→Color→Calibrate".

There are at least two excellent (free) articles on the Web about this. Google "My prints are too dark". The top two hits -- Northlight Images and Luminous Landscape -- both link to articles worth reading.

It's not an easy subject. Post back with questions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2012 1:21 PM in response to sunbeam127

Hi. This is a _very_ common problem. Unfortunately, the only good solution is, at the low end, not inexpensive, and at the high end very expensive.

The only way to get reliable screen to print color matching is through the proper use of a hardware calibrator. Google "color calibration", as well as "colorimeter" and "spectrophotometer" for information. There are several reliable companies that supply equipment to photographers.

OS X has some color calibration built-in, but it is not hardware-based. You can find it as "System Preferences→Display→Color→Calibrate".

There are at least two excellent (free) articles on the Web about this. Google "My prints are too dark". The top two hits -- Northlight Images and Luminous Landscape -- both link to articles worth reading.

It's not an easy subject. Post back with questions.

How do I set up Colorsync on my MacBook Pro? As my photos all print dark even when I use professional print labs. I use Aperture and Photoshop to edit RAW images from my Canon 5D and they look great on my Macbook. But I'm always so dissapointed with...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.