Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BEWARE - 7toX DOES NOT yet WORK with PAL (50HZ)

Philip Hodgetts wrote:

It is neither "shambolic" nor "amateurish" but rather simply unfortunate that one CCIR format was not correctly identified.

Sorry Phillip - I think it's shambolic and amateurish that a week on down the line, you still have not stated on your website, and Apple have not stated on the App Store that this thing (by your own admission) DOES NOT WORK WITH PAL.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/7toX/about.html#before_exportin g

Absolutely no mention of it in the 'Known Issues' section, so presumably you're not 'extremely sorry and somewhat embarrased' quite enough to actually warn people that they shouldn't buy it until the patch appears on the App Store.

If you were in the UK, you could be prosecuted under Consumer Law.

Andy

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 10:54 AM

23 replies

Feb 8, 2012 12:41 PM in response to andynick

It works with most PAL, just not PAL DV. It's right top and center in the app store page for the application. I don't know how we could warn potential buyers better - given that it's the absolutley first thing you see on the App Store product page. I think we'ver done a very good job of communicating in the most appropriate place. I can't even find the "known issues" section you're referring to.

Prosecuting under Consumer Law over a bug fix for one format? I don't think so, or there would be no software sold in the UK ever.

Philip

Feb 8, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Philip Hodgetts

Philip Hodgetts wrote:

It works with most PAL, just not PAL DV.

You didn't say that in your post last week. I reported in my post that it wasn't working and you volunteered:

(Quote).

NOte that if you work with PAL/50Hz material you will need the 1.0.1 update we submitted to the app store yesterday.

Assuming my XDCAM EX 25p material comes under the 50 Hz category, I took this to mean me. Are you now saying it SHOULD be working for me - because it isn't. I've tried with Lion and I've tried with Snow. How can I geet this thing to work (in the end, I had to finish the project in FCP 7).

It's right top and center in the app store page for the application. I don't know how we could warn potential buyers better - given that it's the absolutley first thing you see on the App Store product page.

Phillip - get REAL!

Just TRY following that link - you can't copy and paste it - just be honest and type it into a browser then ask yourself how many people will follow it - what a joke!

Andy

Feb 8, 2012 1:23 PM in response to andynick

I was better informed after posting that.

Beyond that I don't understand a word of your ranting.

Ah, the known issues from the Help document. With all the effort to get the update through the app store, which is currently very problematic and not our application, we missed updating that page.

It will be done today now that we're aware of it.

Philip

Feb 9, 2012 1:17 PM in response to andynick

We won't be examining the files that have come in until the app store update is complete, as that is our current highest priority and taking all our time.

We expect we'll work through the files, in order they were received over the next 2-3 weeks while we work toward another big fix, but right now, nothing but App Store process and solving the technical issue as to why the update cannot be uploaded to the app store.

Apple engineers are working with us closely as Apple want this update out as much as we do.

Philip

Feb 9, 2012 3:23 PM in response to andynick

Jeez Andy,

Cool your jets. You were a lot more forgiving of Apples mess of an FCX "1.0" release. Philip is a considerably smaller company than Apple and he's doing something Apple said could not be done.

Now mind you, Philip's effort, while excellent, is a sad reminder that this should have been done by Apple. The fact that templates come in as black boxes because, presumably, they need translation from Mo4 to Mo5 just shows that Apple should have done this natively.

Good luck Philip. As they say, the lower the price, the worse the customer... Thanks for your software, I hope the rewards are worth the efforts.

Feb 10, 2012 12:43 AM in response to Patrick Sheffield

Patrick, I'm not complaining about the bug itself, I'm complaining about the catalogue of mis-information and/or non-information.

Yes, I defended Apple over the utter shambles that is FCP X - a sensational application released at least six months too early.

In my original thread, I said that I blamed Apple as much as Intelligent Assistance for this - does nobody at Apple actually test software before they display it on their website?

To be honest, I'm up to here with Apple - and if todays fresh install of Lion doesn't bear more fruit than the one I did two weeks ago, I'm seriiously thinking (for the first time in ten years) of buying a PC (although the thought fills me with dread).

I applaud Philip and his colleagues for doing what they're trying to do, but I wish they - and Apple - had done the whole thing more professionally.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter, now I'll keep quiet and hope to goodness they get 7toX working soon because if it takes too long, I could well be struggling with a PC instead of a Mac.

Andy

Feb 10, 2012 10:53 AM in response to innocentius

Thanks innocentius, I always enjoy your posts too.

I should say that the clean install I'm doing today is not because of problems with FCP X or FCP7 - more about organising things on my system drive.

As I said, the thought of going to PC again (especially after all these years) is not something that I find attractive, but my faith in Apple has been shaken to the core recently. I must surely have been one of FCP X's most faithful supporters, and I stood a lot of criticism for it, but frankly, for Apple to still not be able to stabilise the application - or even get it working fully, after so many months, is a disgrace.

Added to that, although I do not suffer autosave problems with FCP X, I am still experiencing autosave issues with Word, so the autosave problem may be more of a Lion issue than just FCP X.

Strangely, I have found recently that FCP X works best for me in Lion - and FCP 7 seems very stable with Lion, so I might dispense with Snow Leopard if all goes well.

Andy

Feb 11, 2012 12:09 PM in response to andynick

Good news. After a week of uninstalling, clean installs of the developer tools, etc, etc, etc, yada yada, finally, the app update, has been accepted for review, insted of being rejected on upload.

At last. We're asking for expedited approval so hopefully by the end of day Monday (US) the app will be approved which would make the update available Tuesday morning.

We did get another bug fix in there for this release too, so it's not all bad.

Philip

BEWARE - 7toX DOES NOT yet WORK with PAL (50HZ)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.