Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS app is not sending notifications

Hello,

I have a weird issue with my new iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1 and found nobody with a similar problem.

All notifications on my iPhone 4S are working properly except for SMS (and iMessages). Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc. show up on the lockscreen when there are new messages, but when I receive a SMS (or an iMessage), the only way to know is going to homescreen and see a red circle with a "1" inside it, on the Messages icon. iPhone doesn't sound and there is nothing in the Notifications center, so I can't notice.

I don't have my iPhone muted, and notifcations are all enabled on Settings > Notifications > Messages.

When I configured my 4S, I restored the backup from my old iPhone 3GS (with iOS 4.3.3), which included all my SMS. I tried to set the 4S as a new iPhone (without restoring the backup), and then messages notifications work properly.

I really DO want my sms from my backup in the Messages up, but i also want my notifications to work properly.

Did anyone have a similar issue when restoring SMS from an old iPhone backup?

Any hints?

Regards,

Antonio

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 10:51 AM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2012 11:23 AM in response to randers4

Thank you randers4 for your answer, but my settings for Settings > Notifications > Messages are as shown here:

Notification center: ON, Alert style: Banners, Badge app icon: ON (the only think working).

I don't know what to do... and as I said, I don't want to set the phone as new iPhone and lose my sms (what makes notifications work).

Any hint will be appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 8, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Antonio92

Try stopping the Messages app and resetting your phone: double tap the home button to bring up the recently used app list at the bottom, locate the Messages app (swiping if necessary), press and hold on it until it jiggles, tap the red minus sign. Now reset the phone: hold the on/off and home buttons simultaneously for 10-15 seconds until you see the Apple logo (ignore the red off slider that appears first), release and weit for the phone to restart. See if that clears it up.

Feb 8, 2012 11:47 AM in response to Antonio92

Yea, I knew it was a long shot. Since the problem is tied to your 3GS backup there may be no way to fix it other than to restore as new. If you really want to save your message conversations there is 3rd party software you can purchase that will allow you to save them on your computer for printing/viewing (but not for importing into another phone). Examples are PhoneView and Touchcopy.

Nov 28, 2013 8:38 PM in response to Antonio92

This was the final step in a series of attempts and it finally worked for me... finally after an hour or two of reading every post I could find on getting repeat alert notifications. I closed the app (double clicking home and pressing the red circle with the white line in it which turned off the messages app). Then I held the home and off button until the apple came on... I had also reset the DNS service numbers to 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4: I also made sure that the badge icon was on, a sound was selected and I had it turned to repeat alert 3 times. When I tested after doing all these things the repeat worked. I decided I wanted to turn it to repeat 10 times and it didn't work.... so I held the home and off button at the same time and it reset so that the alert repeats 10 times. Perhaps the combination of all these these things did the trick, or maybe it was just the home and off button reset...

SMS app is not sending notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.