Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library size exploded with iPhoto '11 upgrade

I finally gave in and upgraded from iPhoto 6 to iPhoto '11

- except for the infamous spilling beach ball while browsing every once in a while, the upgrade move seems to work fine.

I just realized though that the file size of my iPhoto Library exploded with the upgrade:

from 24GB to 37GB - without really adding photos since the upgrade.

How did this happen - and is there a way to compress the library?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 11:02 AM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2012 11:09 AM in response to J and F__

Exactly how did you "upgrade" your library?

Did you by any chance IMPORT the old library into the new library? If so that is the problem - NEVER import an iPhoto library into another iPhoto library - it does not work and causes massive duplication

If you did that then drag the new bad iphoto library to the desktop and reload the old iPhoto library into the pictures folder and launch iPhoto - it will open and upgrade the old library - there in NO importing involved

LN

Feb 8, 2012 4:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, yes, I just synched with my iPod touch.

Strange phenonomon there: upon plugging in, iTunes will display iPod's capacity (Photos 5.6GB & Free 2.9GB),

but once I hit Sync the numbers will jump (Photos 7.6GB & Free 0.42GB)

This scenario will play out each time I plug in the iPod - but after each Sync iPod still has 2.8GB available under General > About ...

Feb 8, 2012 10:28 PM in response to J and F__

Syncing with iOS devices means that a cache of images resized for these devices is created. That could easily account for the increase in the Library size.

As said above, if space is an issue you can run a Library from an external disk:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

iPhoto Library size exploded with iPhoto '11 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.