Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EFI update for the mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro?

Hi,

I was wondering if Apple enabled the Lion Internet Recovery feature for the Mid-2010 MacBook Pros in the new round of EFI updates released yesterday. I know that they already did this for the 13-inch weeks ago but I wanted to make sure they expanded support for the 15" inch and 17" inch model. My doubt arises from the fact that the EFI update is for the Early 2010 MacBook Pros which would technically be a Summer 2009 model, rather than the actual mid-2010 model which is the one that I have.

Thanks for the clarification.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3), i5 2.5, 4GB, 500GB HD, nvidia 330m

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 1:30 PM

These are observant comments, but there's an easy solution. Don't worry about keeping track of your updates; just use Software Update, and this will automatically determine if your MBP has the proper software.

4 replies

Feb 9, 2012 9:00 PM in response to Poikkeus

Poikkeus wrote:

These are observant comments, but there's an easy solution. Don't worry about keeping track of your updates; just use Software Update, and this will automatically determine if your MBP has the proper software.

Thanks for the reply, I ran Software Update and the new EFI version showed up in the list. I proceeded to install it and everything went fine. I was wondering if this new EFI will prevent me from "downgrading" to Snow Leopard should I need to in the future?

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Feb 10, 2012 1:08 PM in response to Poikkeus

I would agree. Actually, I am contemplating this possibility if Lion keeps annoying me with a bug in Safari where it tires to sandbox the GPU and then, crashes the whole web browser and computer. This iisue keeps happening even with the newest version of Safari v5.1.3 and the last time I encountered this issue occurred in a clean install of Lion v10.7.3 while writing an email on my gmail. Honestly, even though I love Lion and its features; it does not measure up to Snow Leopard's pinnacle of stability and compatibility. Besides the freezing issues I have experienced I also had an issue where my Mac would hang at shutdown and hang with a gray pinwheel (although this issue occurred only if I used the Mac OS X v10.7.0 installer, it has not appeared when installing Lion via the 10.7.2 installer, I am not sure about if the issue resurfaced in the latest installer as I had a hung shutdown when Safari froze and tried to shutdown my Mac, ultimately showing the dreaded gray pinwheel). Let's see what my Mac is up to in the following weeks, so far everything looks Ok and in the multiple visits to the Apple Store I have run hardware diagnostics in my MacBook Pro and all of the gave a clean bill of health to my machine. I can't afford to have the 8th clean install of Lion, therefore the next time Lion fails I will revert to Snow Leopard in a heart beat.

EFI update for the mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.