Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying & pasting formats

This is driving me up the wall - hope someone can help! It's quite likely there's something very obvious I'm missing.

I frequently need to copy text from web pages (in Safari) and paste them into Pages. Usually this is straightforward enough, but there are a few websites (e.g. Archive of our Own) that are causing me problems, in that the text pastes fine, but all formatting (such as italics) is lost. I thought "paste style" might be the answer, but that's greyed out (I assume because I haven't copied the style from within Pages).

Please, does anyone know (a) what it is about these particular web pages that causes this to happen, and (b) how I can retain the formatting when I paste from them?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 4:36 PM

8 replies

Feb 8, 2012 4:54 PM in response to Iolanthe

Paste style in Pages is used to copy and paste the style of text from one lot of text to another inside Pages only.

To remove the styling of pasted text you use Paste and Match style which then adopts the style at the cursor point.

Copying from web pages carries over a lot of the styling of the original but the xml and table structure of the website may not have a match in Pages. For example nested tables are used a lot in websites for layout and that is not permissable in Pages although a surprising degree still comes through. Another thing is that webpages work within a flexible width which may not fit within the margins in a Pages document and cause the layout to break up.

Some web designers (from PC backgrounds) actually have random line breaks in their text which also falls apart in regular word processing.

To sum up there are countless reasons why a web page won't work inside a word processor/DTP application that is not meant as a browser. heck browsers often have trouble with badly constructed web pages and lay them out differently.

Peter

Feb 8, 2012 10:30 PM in response to Iolanthe

I see what you mean. The coding for italic on the specific page must be something that Pages can decipher. I first though it had to do with the font used as Lucida Grande doesn't have italic on my machine but that isn't it. Normally pasting from the web you get what you see.

If the italic parts are important just correct it in your document.

Copying & pasting formats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.