Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I adjust the edge of multiple clips and force them to snap to the same length?

How do I adjust the edge of multiple clips with the select tool and force them to snap to the same length?

In other words, I want to have the choice of forcing all of the clip end time to snap to the same length without re-cutting.

Right now, I can only figure out how to adjust them all and keep them at their same relative length.

http://screencast.com/t/bOlkj1bvTUyt

I could do this on my PC, but can't figure it out on my Mac. I'm fairly new to Logic after 22 yrs on Cakewalk/Sonar.

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Logic Pro 9.1.6

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 7:47 PM

In the piano roll, you can hold shift to give notes an equal end, or shift+option to create equal length.

In the arrange, you have to click first, hold and press shift to do equal length (if you press shift first it deselects whatever you click on). The problem occurs when you try to incorporate the option key... option by itself instigates a stretch function in the arrange, and unfortunately this carries over to holding the shift key - although the regions do make themselves the same length.

You can, however, open up the event list and hold shift+option to make them the same length. Once done, you could then go back and tune 'er up graphically in the arrange. Oddly enough, the shift only (same ending point) doesn't work in the event list.

The behavior is the same for both audio and midi regions. If you wish to edit midi regions in the event list you will have to go up one level. When you select a midi region the event list shows notes & such, so you have to click the 'up level' arrow thing in the upper left corner of the list.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2012 7:47 PM in response to kvg_post

In the piano roll, you can hold shift to give notes an equal end, or shift+option to create equal length.

In the arrange, you have to click first, hold and press shift to do equal length (if you press shift first it deselects whatever you click on). The problem occurs when you try to incorporate the option key... option by itself instigates a stretch function in the arrange, and unfortunately this carries over to holding the shift key - although the regions do make themselves the same length.

You can, however, open up the event list and hold shift+option to make them the same length. Once done, you could then go back and tune 'er up graphically in the arrange. Oddly enough, the shift only (same ending point) doesn't work in the event list.

The behavior is the same for both audio and midi regions. If you wish to edit midi regions in the event list you will have to go up one level. When you select a midi region the event list shows notes & such, so you have to click the 'up level' arrow thing in the upper left corner of the list.

Feb 8, 2012 8:10 PM in response to seeren

Thanks so much for your thorough and point-specific answer!

I think part of learning new software is learning what terms to search for. I now have "Equal End" in my vocabulary.

By the way, this was only one of two items that I really had been struggling with in terms of transitioning to Logic. One solved . . . one to go: The other one is applying and modifying identical fades to the ends of multiple clips. I know that I can enter a value in the Inspector, but is there a way to do this with the mouse, similar to the Equal End function? In Sonar, I could select multiple clips (regions) and draw simultaneous fades.

Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2012 8:55 PM in response to kvg_post

kvg_post wrote:

I know that I can enter a value in the Inspector, but is there a way to do this with the mouse, similar to the Equal End function? In Sonar, I could select multiple clips (regions) and draw simultaneous fades.

I'm 99% sure inspector is only way to do multiple region fades. I would love to be wrong about this, though.

Don't sweat the points, they don't mean anything, and if you mark this as solved it will show up as the answer to your first question and that wouldn't make any sense at all.

Can I adjust the edge of multiple clips and force them to snap to the same length?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.