Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6 Will not install from disc to a S.M.A.R.T. verified, zero-wiped, manufacturer's original, internal hard-drive.

I recently wiped my main drive using zero-data process. It seems to be "okay" when verifying its integrity. It is also "verified" according to S.M.A.R.T.

10.6 from Apple's Installation Disc will not install. It makes 20 estimated minutes remaining, then tells me it cannot copy necessary files. Is my superdrive defective out-of-box and also a year later or is my installation disc a defect? Online communities fail to provide any other causes.

By the way, using Recovery HD to download and install Lion is a failure. It tried three times, each ending in failure, unable to verify said package. Apple, try harder.

--

grayne@gmail.com

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Mid-2011

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 5:55 PM

9 replies

Feb 10, 2012 10:56 AM in response to g[RayN]eurosis von Schwedler

I think my superdrive might be defective. It ratchets an awful lot while trying to copy necessary files for installing Snow Leopard. I am taking to a Genius Bar, running a hardware test consistently gets locked up. Here is more on that!:

Inserted retail Hardware Test disc, booted holding D.

Probing took 12 hours and counting, I hard reset my computer.

(Suggested by others) I unplugged my Logitech mouse and, wow!, probing completed.

During pass one of mem test, it locked up showing no progress for an hour-- hard reset!

Apple's Hardware Test was a total failure on my end. An ethernet connection to a router and my Apple keyboard were the only things connected to my 2011 iMac while booting to this hardware test! Bummer! I trust my Apple team will have better diagnostic equipment.

Can Apple Hardware Test even determine if an iMac's superdrive is bad?

Feb 21, 2012 2:52 PM in response to baltwo

Snow Leopard will not install from a brand new optical drive to a newly replaced hard drive. I tried doing a complete format of my internal hard drive and install from DVD. This failed twice already. Are those DVDs with OS X that come with new iMacs commonly faulty? It does not work for beans. I would email Steve Jobs with my repeated disappointments if he were living.

10.6 Will not install from disc to a S.M.A.R.T. verified, zero-wiped, manufacturer's original, internal hard-drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.