Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find my iPhone icon on my Mac?

It's not on my desktop where other peripherals are, such as when I plug in my backup drive. It's also not in my Finder where I also see my backup drive when it's plugged in. Any help would be much appreciated. (I don't mean where to find it in iTunes. Just where can I find my iPhone icon on my Mac?)

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), Using Airport Utility 5.5.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:11 PM

There is no iPhone icon, it is not a hard drive and does not appear as such. The iPhone is detected in iTunes under devices and also can be detected as a camera.

14 replies

Feb 8, 2012 7:43 PM in response to vazandrew

Correction! I just looked to see where I saw that (to select the iPhone icon on my desktop) and figured it out. It's in the iTunes help, "Use iPod as an external hard drive." So this questions has to do with my iPod, not my iPhone (sorry). That iTunes topic says, "To copy files to the device, drag them to the device’s icon on your computer’s desktop." (The "device" being my iPod.) Just now, I connected it and did actually see it on my desktop for a brief moment, and then it disappeared. Yes, I do see it in my iTunes. I don't see it on my desktop and I don't see it in my Finder. So, how can I see it? If this is not the right forum, let me know and I'll go to the right one.

Apr 21, 2012 6:25 PM in response to Lisppat

Thanks but I am still confused as I still can't get my iPhone to appear on the desktop or the Finder. And even if I do, can I transfer all the music that is on it onto the MacBookPro iTunes library as the comments later in your support article seem to suggest not? Most of the music on it is stuff that has come off CDs rather than purchased off iTunes. Sorry to be such a luddite.

Apr 21, 2012 8:41 PM in response to kk7777

An iPhone will not appear on the desktop nor the finder, only in iTunes (under devices)

All content should reside on your computer and you sync to get the content onto your iPhone. If you have unpurchased music on your phone (not on your computer), and no backup then you will need a 3rd party program to transfer

Examples

http://www.copytrans.net/

http://www.macroplant.com/

Where can I find my iPhone icon on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.