Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

address book freeze on merge duplicates

When I merge duplicates in Lion Address Book it freezes. I can leave it for 24 hours and it's still frozen again and again. How do I fix this?

Address Book-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Freezes

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:13 PM

I was also having the same problem (frozen app, right pane unresponsive to selections in the left pane, unable to search) but trashing the database in Library > Application Support > AddressBook did not work for me, so I called Apple Support. They asked if I was syncing with iCloud (yes, I was) and had me 1) export the address book database as a backup (File > Export > Address Book Archive), then 2) open System Preferences > iCloud, then uncheck the Contacts (a dialogue box will appear - click on delete) and leave it unchecked for 15-20 seconds, then recheck the contacts and wait about 30 seconds (for the db to repopulate). Now my AB is happy! Hope this works for you. PB

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2012 5:13 PM in response to shuhkoh

I was also having the same problem (frozen app, right pane unresponsive to selections in the left pane, unable to search) but trashing the database in Library > Application Support > AddressBook did not work for me, so I called Apple Support. They asked if I was syncing with iCloud (yes, I was) and had me 1) export the address book database as a backup (File > Export > Address Book Archive), then 2) open System Preferences > iCloud, then uncheck the Contacts (a dialogue box will appear - click on delete) and leave it unchecked for 15-20 seconds, then recheck the contacts and wait about 30 seconds (for the db to repopulate). Now my AB is happy! Hope this works for you. PB

address book freeze on merge duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.