Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video card pci-e 1.0

Anyone knows a pci-e 1.0 videocard to use with FCP 10.0.3

I downloaded Final Cut 10.0.3

It wont startup because I dont own the right videocard(message at startup of fcp 10)

The card needs OpenCL

I phoned Apple care.

They send me a list with cards wich should be compatible with my 2007 MacPro with pci-e 1.0

None of these cards are 1.0, all are pci-e 2.0

It sounds like if I have to buy a new MacPro to be able to use FCP 10?

I upgraded FCP for many many many years and many hard euros but now...

Macpro 2x2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 8 Gb Ram

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:38 AM

Most video cards are backwards compatible IE you can fit a pci-e 2.0 card in a pci-e slot. but not vice versa.

What model - year is your computer?

Many people have used a ATI 5770 in early Mac Pros.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3156764?answerId=15544920022#15544920022

11 replies

Feb 9, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thing is: is the 5770 card working in MacPro 1.1 with FCP 10 wich uses Open CL and the faster specifations of pci-e 2.0? And if working but with slower speed(pci-e 1.0) what is the use of upgrading to FCP 10 and the cost of a videocard.

Just a new interface...

Thoughts:

I phoned the A-store and the kind sales person proudly assured a MacPro could last 6 to 12 years(mine is from 2007 so 5 years old). It maybe so but not with FCP 10 onboard. A new MacPro is way to expensive now for the educational bussiness I have(teaching FCP and Logic Pro).

Teaching on old platform is not good for business.

Again:

Lots and lots of hard currency went into FCP upgrades over the years.

Feb 9, 2012 7:32 AM in response to ontop

the 5770 in 2006 Mac Pro is no slouch.

Radeon HD 5870 versus 5770

You would have trouble finding an 8800GT which it out performs.

And comparing how it performs in later models

Radeon 5870 vs 5770 GTX 285 4870

As to FCP-X and whether it is worth $249 to be able to have support, why not?

For that price, I look at being in same league as an SSD, or what I would pay for a good 10K or 15K drive in the past, or 2TB or WD 10K VR 600GB today.

Doesn't buy as much RAM as you can buy of DDR3 today either but another one of those costs.

What you can do also and the cost of upgrades vs new, $500 for a pair of Intel 5355 Xeons to turn 4-core into 8-core.

Feb 9, 2012 8:22 AM in response to The hatter

What is 'no slouch'?

Is that like: good?

The comparison charts in the link make the 5770 look weak actually...

Anyway I'm looking for a working card with an 'old' MacPro and FCP-X installed to be able to move on.

So if possible please confirm if the 5770 is working and if it works is it working with FCP-X. The A-store, the A-premium reseller service station and A-care are not repeat not telling me that...and they wont give service on the buy with an 'unspecified/unqualified' MacPro.

Confused still.

About upgrading 4-core to 8 core:

I'm not sure I'm up to doing that because of my background(no ICT but performing arts and producing)

thnx

Marc

Feb 9, 2012 9:35 AM in response to ontop

If you follow through two layers of links on the bareFeats article, you eventually get to this article where they tested the 5770 and several others in a 2006 model Mac Pro:

Their results confirm:

It works.

It works with OpenCL ( THE requirement for the latest FCP)

It works reasonably well compared to any used cards you couls buy and take a gamble on.

http://barefeats.com/wst10g5.html

Feb 9, 2012 10:58 AM in response to ontop

Starting at the 5770 testing article The Hatter linked, if you follow through two levels of links, you get to the direct link I posted, which deals specifically with the oldest Mac Pro and running the 5770 in its PCIe 1.0 slot.

As far as what cards work with FCP-X, these are the lists:

BlackList:

Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility

WhiteList:

Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Using OpenCL-enabled graphics cards

video card pci-e 1.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.