Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal event alerts won't stop repeating

After the update to Lion 10.7.3, I get hourly repeating alerts from iCal. I've dismissed them but they keep on coming. And the list of the alerts keeps expanding each day. iCal is also repeating past alerts in the list. In addition, the alerts pop up with the Submarine sound, which I also cannot turn off. Needless to say, these hourly interruptions are very annoying. I've applied the Combo Update to try to fix the problem and looked for a solution in iCal and in the system but there isn't anything showing that tells me how to stop the issue.

Imagine trying to record audio and have one of these alerts pop up, as I have experienced. Not only does it cause a glitch in the recording, it also adds the sound to it. I turned off Alerts in the Sound preferences and that didn't help.

There seems to be no discussions with this problem recently.

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.3), 500GB internal drive, 4GB RAM

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 1:49 AM

33 replies

Jul 28, 2017 4:21 PM in response to TPerhai

Unfortunately, this did not work for me? was told that it is a Firmware issue from iOS 10.3.7 from the local apple store.

I am getting repeating notifications on ALL of my apps EXCEPT MESSENGER.

Facebook, Adidas, iCal, Chase Bank...

All of my apps repeat their notifications, every 2 minutes, until I open the specific app and acknowledge the alert.

Feb 11, 2012 8:59 AM in response to TPerhai

I'm still using Snow Leopard and having the same problem on my iMac. It's driving me crazy. They pop up over and over and over again. Every time I restart, there they are again. I trashed my iCal preferences hoping that would help, but nope. I was thinking about upgrading to Lion to see if that solved it, but it sounds like it doesn't.

Help!

Apr 28, 2012 6:13 AM in response to TPerhai

Been happenin' to me somewhere in between the first day I installed Lion and just days after my MacBook Pro was no longer eligible for Apple Care. Bad timing though I now know that because the software was new, I was likely entitled to free phone support. This is terribly obnoxious and annoying. I use my computer professionally as a graphics operator and have had to use alternate user accounts on my computer so that reminders of manicure appointments don't pop up on the screen in front of an audience of of 500 plus executives. NOT good. Not good at all! I started looking for a soluton way back in November/December but figured it was just me when I found no other complaints on this. Well, glad I'm not alone!

Apr 28, 2012 6:21 AM in response to TPerhai

Oh, and another thing I'm curious to know if you all are experiencing is that there appears to be issues with the finder in general. For example, each time I open up iTunes, I get an alert that all of my tv shows are unchecked. A. Who cares? and B. Is that so important that you had to interrupt me? Additionally, it seem that regardless of what section I was in within the iTunes program, it never remembers and always brings me back to my unchecked tv shows, error message and all. It seems there are several examples of this type of thing since installing Lion. Fingers crossed, there will be a resolution in the next major release or sooner. Interested to know if anyone else is experiencing other such annoyances?

May 7, 2012 5:10 PM in response to TPerhai

Taking one for the team and on the phone with AppleCare right now. I'll try to take good enough notes to post back here. If nothing else, I'll see if I can post the support notes as documented by the rep as soon as it's published:

On the phone with second person who is taking notes before transfering me to a third. While I'm waiting, thought I'd share what the first person had me do.Note that this did NOT fix this or any of what I suspect are Finder issues but it can help with some system wide glitches. In any case, it can't hurt:

Reset PRAM. This is easy.

1. Shut down your computer completely.

2. Turn it back on and immediately, hold down the Control, Option, P and R keys.

3. You will hear the usual chime.

4. Keep holding them down until you hear it chime a second time and then let go.

iCal event alerts won't stop repeating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.