Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphite AirPort Base Station - WEP Password for Windows

Summary

I need to get the hex equivalent of a WEP password so that a Windows machine can access an old Graphite AirPort Base station network. The Airport Utility that could tell me the answer does not run on Snow Leopard - any ideas?

Detail

I have a Graphite AirPort Base station that I have started using again. I know the network password and have no trouble connecting with my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

I need to connect a Windows machine to the network. To do that I need the hex version of the network password.

The way to get this is to use the Airport Utility, connect to the base station and it will tell you the answer. Easy. Except that the Airport Utility that does that will not run under Snow Leopard (or later).

Is there any other way to get the hex password? It was not a 13 character password so Apple will have hashed it in a proprietary way. I do not have a Mac sitting around an older OS on it and I have little appetite for trying to crack the encryption.

PS One thought - I also have an AirPort Express being used elsewhere. I can access that with AirPort utility. If I set that up with the same password and WEP as the Graphite, will the hex equivalent be the same?

AirPort Base Station (Graphite)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:38 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2012 5:52 PM in response to dsgray

Without another Mac or PC around to run the appropriate AirPort Utility, your idea to set up a wireless network with the same WEP password on an Express to get the Equivalent Networkt Password from does sound like a reasonable approach. I would second that approach and would be interested to find out if that worked.

Graphite AirPort Base Station - WEP Password for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.