Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Italian Citizen: EIN & ITIN issue

Hi to all!

I need your precious help to solve my problem.

I read discussions in this forum but I'm still a bit confused.

Well, I'm an Italian citizen, I'm an individual and I have no company. I would like to publish my books on the iBooks Store using iBooks Author.

I've just finished to write down the book and now I'm ready to publish.

Apple asked me to provide my ITIN or EIN. I have neither, so I followed the instructions I found on www.irs.gov.

I got stuck. Which number do you think I should ask for? I suppose the ITIN... but I'm not really sure.

I think that EIN is for companies and ITIN for individual, but I read that also an individual can ask for the EIN. Is it correct?

Have you experienced the same problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks,

Tom

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:05 AM

9 replies

Jul 15, 2012 3:41 PM in response to Toscanaccio

Toscanaccio wrote:

I think that EIN is for companies and ITIN for individual, but I read that also an individual can ask for the EIN. Is it correct?

Why would you do that if you know the individual uses ITIN?

If you ask for an EIN, you'll need to apply as something you're not when it's used....

Puzzling...

Ken

Jul 16, 2013 5:49 AM in response to MichiHenning

Hi,

an individual can apply for an EIN if it is for business use (i.e.: self publishing as a sole proprietorship [imprenditore individuale; not sure about the italian term]).

You can use either an ITIN or an EIN on your Form W-8BEN, to claim the use of the income tax treaty between the US and Italy which in Article 12 states that a resident of Italy with "royalty income from the use of literary work is subject to a US tax of 5% of the gross amount instead of the usual 30% US-withholding-tax (section 1441 and 1442 of the US Internal Revenue Code) if the payee is a non resident person. Please feeel free to contact me, if there are any more questions (in english or german please).

Kind regards

Harald Henning

Steuerberater

Certifying Acceptance Agent for IRS ITIN-Numbers
Herbigstr. 19a
80999 München, GERMANY
Tel.: 089/8115302
Fax: 089/89068548
E-Mail: mail@harald-henning.de

Jul 25, 2013 1:10 AM in response to Harald H

You replied to thread which is 12 months old ! I would assume that by now - although there is nothing further from the originall post - the issue has been resolved.

There is more than one thread about EIN numbers.

Apple require any and all persons wishing to place paid for books in the iBookstore. Its a failry easy application and can complete duroing a 10 - 12 minutes phone call to the IRS. Dont waste time with letters, written application by post or evec FAX. Phone and you have the number there and then.

All person are reqiured to fill in the and submitthe contracts which are found in iTunesConnect.

There are other conditions which apply to the UK, USA and Canada.

The UK residents also need an IBAN number from their bank.. it applies to the payments Apple will make to your bank if you sell.

Australians need an ABN and probable an IBAN or whatever legistlation required by the AU banking/tax system.

The best action would appear to look at the contracts online and make notes.

Al the suggestions from third parties about ITIN W8 BEN are - from my experience time wasters that confuse people.

For the EIN, You DO NOT need to have a limited company or whatever "your" country requires to formally register a commercial business.

Simply fill in the question box as sole trader - and your business is either publisher or eBook publisher or whatever you want to have.

Link to Form SSN4 http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf

download this - fill it in - keep it with you when you telephone - they will ask you to confirm question using it.. it saves time.

This is the telpehone number. to use. 1-267-941-1099 USA IRS Telephone

They work 7am - 7pm I think its EST.

I found calling at their 6pm best and got through in about 15 seconds!

I purchased a cheap international phone card and used it to call the USA a 12 minutes call cost me about US 50cents !

Thats it - it takes Apple about 2 weeks to recognise your EIN number BUT you fill in and submit the contracts when you get it and wait for Apple. If there are issues they will email you. If you dont hear , I suugest you should have a book ready to publish and just deliver it! If you account is open.. it will deliver...

There is no mystery or tax office complications... do as I have listed above... and if your country has requirements that are individual to you.. then you will need to address them. I only know about UK and Australian requirements.

Last Word.. all the stuff about getting paid .. as above my UK bank issued an IBAN number - its about International money transacations TO YOUR BANK.. not Apples and if its required or whatever is required, is listed in your contracts. YOU need to open an iTunesConnect account - contracts are on the opening page.

Unless its changed in teh past 6 months.. IF you have a free book account - You will be required to open a new apple account and use that to apply for a paid sellers account - dont question Apples logic.. it dont work!

A few repeats - to drive it home. Sorry.....

Italian Citizen: EIN & ITIN issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.