Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot connect my iPhone 4S to my MacBook via Bluetooth PAN, please help

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:15 AM

13 replies

Feb 9, 2012 10:00 AM in response to diesel vdub

The Macbook recognizes the iPhone in Bluetooth. I can initiate a pairing and the security code acceptance message is successfully sent to the iPhone. The Mac says Congratulations! > pairing was completed successfully > A computer serial port was created > Use as a Personal Area network (That is what I want to do, a PAN)

On the iPhone, after I accept the incoming security message, the iPhone immediately says "Not Connected." When I tap on the "Not connection" the message says: Connection Unsuccessful "macBook: is not supported. with a tap option button to "Forget Device"

After set-up assistant on the Mac: Bluetooth setup assistant recognizes the iPhone and with a message: "Your computer is already paired with that device. Do you wish to remove the pairing and set up the device again"?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mar 12, 2012 8:07 AM in response to RaymondfromPA

Can I piggyback on this thread? I'm having the exact problem as you, only I'm using an iPod Touch.

I get the same messeges/errors, and under System/Network, I see the Bluetooth PAN, but it's not green and looks as though it does not see any personal devices.

Oh, I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3, and I'm trying to link my iPod.

Just as RaymondfromPA indicates, seemingly it pairs fine, but then won't connect.

Is there something more I'm supposed to do?

Mar 12, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Aescleal

Aescleal wrote:

Can I piggyback on this thread? I'm having the exact problem as you, only I'm using an iPod Touch.

I get the same messeges/errors, and under System/Network, I see the Bluetooth PAN, but it's not green and looks as though it does not see any personal devices.

Oh, I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.3, and I'm trying to link my iPod.

Just as RaymondfromPA indicates, seemingly it pairs fine, but then won't connect.

Is there something more I'm supposed to do?

Try reading the thread to which you replied. The answer has already been provided.

The ONLY support for Bluetooth PAN in iOS is for tethering. It is not possible to tether an iPod Touch to a computer.

Mar 18, 2012 4:36 PM in response to the major

the major wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. The connection between the phone and the Macbook pro lasts about half a second and that's it. I get a message on the iPhone saying something like 'does not support this hardware' which give it's a late 2008 macbookpro is daft. Have you solved the problem?

Wow... another fool that cannot be bothered to read the thread to which they replied.

Apr 11, 2012 1:58 PM in response to diesel vdub

the original question wasn't about ipod touch.

I have successfully connected my ipad (5.1) to osx (10.7.3) using bt pan, sharing my mbp's internet connection with the pad. It's also described here http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110612232450787. (the article even mentions it's supposed to work with ipod touch btw)

In my case, it's not working when connecting the same way from iphone 4s (5.1).

I'm getting the same error message as RaymondfromPA described (not supported -> forget device)

So this is certainly an issue.

Apr 11, 2012 1:54 PM in response to the major

the major wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. The connection between the phone and the Macbook pro lasts about half a second and that's it.

Im seeing the very same thing watching bt devices on osx.

When connecting from ios, the device status goes to connected/green for second, than snaps back to disconnected and the "not supported" alert appears on ios.

Jul 20, 2012 11:32 PM in response to RaymondfromPA

Diesel vdub,

You are a jacka$$. You did not answer the other people's questions. These people are trying to connect their iPhones to their MacBook Pros not using PAN. If the answer is that the iPhone 4s cannot connect to a MacBook Pro for anything other than tethering then, you need to make that more clear as your answer was obfuscated by too many issues in one post. So, you need to have more patience and not so haughty. Someone might just slap you down a notch. And before you reply, while hiding behind your computer, just remember: it's easy to be tough behind the keyboard. But, if you treat people this way in real life, someone will knock you on your behind. I will be on the East Coast at the end of August and I would be happy to oblige you.

Jul 24, 2012 7:52 PM in response to RaymondfromPA

Hi Everyone!

I had the same problem BUT i was able to connect my iPhone 4 to my Imac. Let me share what i did after pairing my iPhone to my computer.

-Make sure that your Network>Personal Hotspot under General settings is turned on

-U can either choose Wi-Fi or Blutooth Pan and USB only

-If you choose Personal Hotspot>Wi-fi, in your Mac Network settings it will appear that your iPhone USB is connected (not sure if it's because im charging my iPhone through my Mac computer)

-If you turn on Personal Hotspot>Blutooth Pan and USB only, go to your Mac Network settings connect your device e.g. iPhone then you will be Blutooth Pan connected

Hope that helps!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.