Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why no "Create AAC version" option?

Using several online tutorials as a guide, I'm trying to use iTunes 10 (Windows XP) to convert a 30-second mp3 file into a ringtone. The tutorials say that even in 10, I should be able to right-click a song and have "Create AAC version" on the context menu. As you can see by the enclosed screen capture, that's not apparent. I was suprised by the "Create MP3 Version." I configured iTunes to reference existing mp3 files. I've heard that if I let it copy added files to the iTunes library it will convert them to AAC files, so I unchecked the copy-to-library option in preferences long ago. Any tips on how to create an AAC from iTunes?

User uploaded file

Windows XP Pro, service pack 3

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 11:46 AM

You need to set the default encoder for iTunes to AAC to get that option.

(63941)

6 replies

Why no "Create AAC version" option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.