Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open ports on Airport Extreme

Hi,

I have been having difficulty with FaceTime on numerous devices, googled around and found i need to open some ports for it to work properly.

Now i am struggling with two things:

1. The new AirPort Utility looks slick but it seems like i have less detailed access to settings than before, is this correct?

2. How do i open ports? I do not want to forward any ports as i use multiple macs, iphone and ipad to FaceTime with so i just want the ports open in general.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Jay

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), "Always make backups!!"

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:55 PM

That is not necessary. On the Airport Extreme you merely have to make sure that you have enabled 'NAT Port Mapping Protocol.' This allows software on your devices to open ports as necessary.

User uploaded file

8 replies

Feb 10, 2012 5:38 AM in response to jayv.

Nothing is 'guaranteed' to work but this is the proper way to handle this situation.

Let me put it to you this way. I use AirPort routers exclusively and without having to 'open ports' FaceTime works without any problems on all my devices, Mac as well an iPhone.

If you insist on trying the 'open ports' method the 'Configure Port Mappings' button on that screen is where you do it. Be aware that doing it this way creates static maps so the ports you open can only be mapped to one IP address at a time.

Here is a list of port used by Apple software: Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

Ideally you want to let NAT-PMP handle it because it allows the ports to open dynamically, on demand, by the devices and software that request the ports.

If enabling NAT-PMP does not solve your problem then the problem and solution exists elsewhere.

Apr 20, 2012 9:12 AM in response to snifflesniffle

Yes, double NAT means that you have two routers one behind the other that are providing DHCP and NAT service. You need to configure only one router to provided those services or you may expereince other network problems.

In your case I'm guessing you have a modem/router provided by your Internet Service Provider that is making the primary connection to the Internet and providing DHCP and NAT and you have now also configured your AirPort router to also provide DHCP and NAT. If you want the AirPort router to provide DHCP and NAT then you need to turn off those services in the other router. That will solve the double NAT error.

Jun 16, 2012 6:00 PM in response to Gino Cerullo

Hey Gino,

Thanks for the help so far for all of us in this situation. My case is somewhat similar but half way there to a solution. Sniffle is right, they upgraded Airport utility UI and it's quite different from the screen shot you have above but I was able to find the page and mine is set to 'DHCP and NAT'.

But my issue is that when someone calls me via FaceTime and I accept it, it freezes up. I can hear the caller but the view remains frozen. On the other hand, it works perfectly when I call out. So my problem is receiving facetime calls. Any ideas what to do?

Thanks again for your time, I'd really appreciate any help.

How to open ports on Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.