Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: Airport Extreme setup - 'unexpected error'

Hi there,

I bought the latest Airport Extreme yesterday from the Apple Store in Beijing as I have just moved here and am attempting to set up a wireless network in my apartment. I have used an Airport Extreme at home in Australia for years now and have never had any issues. I have a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.7.3 with the latest version (6.0) of Airport Utility.

My internet here is simply 'plug and play' - an ethernet cable straight from the wall socket grants access to the internet (through a username and password). The technician who set up my internet account suggested that I only had to plug the ethernet cable into a wireless router and it would work.

I have tried plugging the internet cable into the WAN port of the Airport and running another ethernet cable from my computer to a LAN port on the Airport to assist the setup process but I continue to get the same message: as it 'examines' the new base station in Airport Utility it stops and says 'an unexpected error has occurred. Try again'. I have also tried running the internet simply through one of the LAN ports (rather than the WAN port), but to no avail. When I do this I can access the internet through the Airport itself (via ethernet) but otherwise it is not configured. I have even tried running the internet through a cable modem and then into the Airport, but again have had no results. I have attempted a Factory Reset on the airport (holding in the reset button then turning the Airport on until light flashes rapidly), and have left it unplugged overnight, but with the same results as before.

Any help would be appreciated as I just can't seem to work out why Airport Utility won't configure the Airport and why it won't work. Thank you!

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:05 PM

17 replies

Feb 10, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Sam_22

I have a very similar problem. I had a time capsule and an airport extreme setup in bridge mode. After the firmware upgrade, none of my macs would connect to the airport extreme. I tried reconfiguring and resetting to factory mode. Now AirPort Utility 6.0 just gives me the "unexpected error". I'm currently stuck running ethernet cables across my living room until another firmware upgrade is released.

In hindsite, I made two mistakes, upgrading my imacs and macmini to Lion and then following with the airport firmware upgrades the same day. All the variations makes it virtually impossible to troubleshoot.

Feb 10, 2012 10:10 AM in response to mccshark

I have the same problem with the exception of the versions used.

Just purchased the AirPort Extreme, 802.11n Wi-Fi and want to set up an in motorcoach wireless lan:

MacBook Pro OS X v.10.5.8

Canon MX 870 printer

AirPort Extreme using AirPort Utility v.5.5.3

The MacBook Pro recognizes the AirPort Extreme. The Canon MX870 is set for wireless lan, connected to the AirPort Extreme via USB cable, and recognizes the AirPort Extreme.

I keep getting the ERROR MESSAGE:

An error occurred while reading the confirguration (-6753)

I know this should work as I used my older AirPort Extreme (version 2) in the same manner last year. Printed perfectly with no setup problems. Well, actually, I had the AirPort Extreme standing alone... just plugged into power, but had set it up at home with a connection to my broadband modem. BUT, the info I've read indicates this should work without that kind of setup.

Just in case, I tried again without the cable connected to the printer... same message.

Mar 10, 2012 11:16 PM in response to swbaus

I finally got mine to work. Used an Ethernet cable connecting the MacBook Pro to the Airport Extreme. Using AirPort Utilities v.5.3.3, the Extreme was recognized and I was able to configure it. Then, I tried wirelessly and it worked! The only problem is that there is no security on that network. I did my printing and disconnected the extreme from power. I don't want it using the Wi-Fi continuously anyway. I do plan to reconfigure when I'm able to use my secure Broadband connection, but for now, it works.

Mar 27, 2012 4:12 PM in response to Avigdor Susana

I had this same error and got it fixed.

Do this:

1) Unplug ethernet and power from the Airport Express.

2) Hold down the factory reset button and keep holding while you plug in power.

3) Wait for the amber light to fast flash.

4) Release the reset button.

5) Click on the device in Airport Utility (I used 6.0 on OS X Lion 10.7.3)

That is all.

Jun 29, 2012 8:22 PM in response to M1tch

Did the same as M1tch and it worked.

I have FIOS connected to TC with 3 AE N. Just bought 2 new AE for the dual band.

I plugged one in and it started right up and I could see it on the network.

But had problems with Airport Utility 6.0. I tried 5.6 too which all already had installed after my upgrade to Lion on a MB 2.4 GHZ 6GB RAM 750GB Disk.

Every time I tried to connect I would get an unexpected error, try again. I did that a few times, before the reset.

At that point Airport Utility 6.0 recognized it and I was able to configure. It didn't give me many options to select such as channel - looks like it pairs up on the same channel as the base station.

Anyway, I'll be installing another tomorrow on my deck along with an Apple TV 2 on a Samsung LED with Slingbox.

The problem I have is when I try and run an ethernet cable from the new AE to the TC, the network hangs and I have no Internet connection. I've looked at ip addresses, DHCP, etc, all looks fine. I know the cable is good because I just swapped out the TC from that cable drop and moved it next to the FIOS router. This is crazy!

May 27, 2013 4:32 PM in response to Sam_22

I am having a similar problem. I have copied and pasted my observations from another discussion I had created.

I just purchased an AirPort Extreme (A1408) about a week ago. I was able to do the initial set-up with a MacBook (A1342) using a WPA2 Wi-Fi signal. The process was very easy. I then tried to connect my USB external hard-drive to the AirPort Extreme to do Time Machine Backups over Wi-Fi. A complication arose with the back-up so I wiped the external HD and reset the AirPort thinking that if I started fresh everything would be good. Ever since the reset I have received a message saying unexpected error. Can anyone help by describing what I need to do to connect back to the AirPort's Wi-Fi signal?

MacBook (white unibody, A1342)

AirPort Utility, 6.2

OS, Lion 10.7.5

Cable Modem, Motorola SURFboard SB6141

May 27, 2013 8:24 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Thanks Philly_Phan for explaning the different types of resets. When I try the hard reset I basically get nowhere. I tried the factory default reset and AirPort Utility recognizes the new Base Station and gives me the options to configure the network name, station name and passwords. Yet after configuring all the options and AirPort Utility saying that it is joining the network I eventually still get the "An unexpected error occurred. Try again." message.

May 28, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Avigdor Susana

To Avigdor and Philly,

I stumbled across a way to recover from the error message I kept getting. What I did was:

1. unplug the WAN cable
  2. perform a factory default reset on the AirPort
  3. set-up all my configurations and confirm that AirPort took the updated configurations
  4. plug the WAN cable back in

I don't know why this worked and why the other methods did not work but after hours of fighting with AirPort Utility and the base station I am satisfied. The next step is to get wireless access to my USB hard-drives.

Re: Airport Extreme setup - 'unexpected error'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.