Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple charging for tech support?

When did this change take place? I called Apple a few days ago with an IPod question (that I ended up solving myself later that day), and before I could even ask for help they tell me that I'm using my one free phone call and if I ever need to call again it'll cost me 40 some odd bucks unless I sign up for their apple protection plan...which is only good for two years compared to my three year protection plan that I already have with the electronics store that I bought the IPod at.
This is more of a comment then a question really....I just don't understand why Apple has all of a sudden decided to charge obscene amounts of money for mediocre tech support when they're making enough income off of IPods being sold to start with.

Dell, Windows XP, 30GB IPod w/Video

Posted on Feb 20, 2006 3:41 PM

3 replies

Feb 20, 2006 3:45 PM in response to musiclover81

theyve been having that courtesy call and charge for other calls for non protection plans users for the last 4 ipods ive owned.which is roughly 4 yeeas now. and since they have ben only in existence for 5 then you get your answer. Get the protection plan if your so distraught over it or acces the service plan that you got from th eretails tore you got it from rather than apple.

GFF

Feb 20, 2006 4:53 PM in response to musiclover81

For one reason, just about any question you have regarding an iPod can be answered here.

I called Apple a few days ago with an IPod question
(that I ended up solving myself later that day),

Based on this statement and a number of the posts here, if Apple didn't charge for additional calls after the free complimentary call, they would be inundated with all sorts of questions that can be easily answered if one reads the instructions and/or visits the following links provided here.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod101/

Feb 20, 2006 5:05 PM in response to musiclover81

When did this change take place?
Quite a long time ago.

they tell me that I'm using my one free phone call and if I ever need to call again it'll cost me 40 some odd bucks unless I sign up for their apple protection plan
You get one support issue, not one phone call. If it takes 5 call to sort the problem, you get 5.

which is only good for two years compared to my three year protection plan that I already have with the electronics store
Not quite the same but you decide the benefits.

The support plan out purchased will fix you ipod. If the iPod works,that's all you get.
They will give you no assistance by phone or email in solving iTunes to iPod problems.

Apple charging for tech support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.