Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error during downloading - newsstand

I used to be able to download magazine for my newsstand, but now I always get this error message, Error during downloading please try to download again later. What is going on? I have purchased national geographic kids for 2012, now I only have the Jan issue which I have downloaded it a month ago, and I can't download Feb issue and all other magazines as well!!!

iPad, Newsstand download problem

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:43 AM

12 replies

May 17, 2012 11:24 AM in response to yongcheniris

I am having the same problem. Trying to download National Geographic 06/12 issue and every minute or so, I get the message that there was an error. I have to then restart the download. Really Apple? Usually your products are so tight and work so well. Seems ridiculous to have to baby sit the downloading of material for the newstand. Some help here would be great.

May 17, 2012 11:42 AM in response to ForrestJoy

First thing I would do is point out that this is a user forum. You are NOT addressing Apple or Apple employees. Nor will anyone from Apple respond. Comments like " really Apple?" don't help.

I have several subscriptions, including NatGeo, with no download issues at all, but here goes.

Some things to try:

1. A rest on the iPad. Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the iPad shuts down. Ignor the off slider should it appear. This should take around ten seconds. Once sut down is complete, true it back on.
  2. Check your Internet connection. Many of these magazine files are actually multimedia and VERY large (400+ mg in the case of the new NatGeo, for example). Slow connection could cause timeouts.
  3. Delete and redownload the magazine app. You should be able easily find it in the purchase section of the App store

May 17, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thanks for your coaching on how to use the forum...

Being that you have not experienced these problems I especially appreciate your advice, as it did not help. In fact I even deleted the magazine app and reinstalled it, as you recommended, and now I have the problem with each issue that was previously & successfully downloaded.

Perhaps you should be less critical of what people are saying and focus more on whether you have the knowledge and experience to actually help.

May 17, 2012 1:29 PM in response to tonefox

tonefox wrote:

Congratulations on insulting somebody who voluntarily tries to help people who cannot otherwise manage to help themselves. We are all suitably motivated by your comment.

Oh, give him a break. He's frustrated, and I'm obviously a smart *** curmudgeon 😝. And obviously not a lot of solutions forthcoming, considering the thread was started some time back. I would like to know if the restart has any effect.

May 17, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Unfortunately, no, the reset did not resolve the problem. I was able to download one issue, after 5 attempts. I am attempting to download the June issue and, even after 10 attempts, I still can't get the issue to complete. What is interesting is that the download will show (while in progress) that it has received all of the data but then the download fails and the size returns to the previously downloaded amount. In other words it looks like the download is finished and then I get the error and none of the downloaded data. It's as if the problem might be with committing the downloaded content rather than the download itself.

May 17, 2012 3:50 PM in response to ForrestJoy

Ok. I just downloaded the June issue (Solar Storm cover). It clocks at 411MB. I ran a test on the connection speed in advance and it was fine (a little over 11mbps, normal for my service). Download took around three minutes, maybe a little more.

How far are you getting before it errors out. The full 411?

And, have you tried anything other than NatGeo?

May 16, 2014 5:49 AM in response to yongcheniris

I am also having the same problem. I was previously able to download magazines without any problems. I think the problems may have started after installing ios 7 but I'm not sure. I've tried the reset and uninstalling and installing magazine app. Now I can't even download the magazines that I had previously downloaded. The message I get is "Cannot connect to server. Try again later" I've been trying for 2 weeks now! I have no problem with my internet connection or downloading apps. One magazine was purchased from the publisher and one through the app store.

Any advise?

May 16, 2014 7:54 AM in response to kymuk

1. Probably would better to post your own thread rather that resurrecting a two year old one.
  2. Sign out of the iTunes and apps tore (Settings App), and then sign back in.
  3. Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

Error during downloading - newsstand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.