Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does OEM really mean?

OK, I need to install the "full retail" version of WinXP Pro on my MacBook Air. I'm told to avoid "branded" versions such as Dell, HP, etc. This makes sense, of course. However, I've also been told to install an OEM version of XP Pro. Isn't "OEM" synonymous with "branded"? If not, what's the difference? Can I safely, and easily, install an OEM version of WinXP Pro on my Mac Air?

Cheers,

BottmFeedr

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 9:36 AM

OEM as far as Microsoft Windows is concerned means that it is supposed to be bought (or sold) with a pc, In theory resellers are allowed to sell OEM copies of windows only if hardware is bought at the same time (to the supplier I use this can mean any PC hardware at all, mouse, keyboard bla bla bla)

The license of the Oem version is somewhat more restricted than a 'full' version in that the license is tied to the original computer you install it on, (with the full version you can upgrade your mainboard etc as often as you like and keep reinstalling the same copy (on one computer at a time only!!)). So in theory if your mainboard blows then Microsoft can refuse to allow you to reactivate an OEM windows on the new mainboard because it is no longer the same computer (follow me?)

Other than that the OEM version is exactly the same as the full version software wise and should cause you no problems what so ever So if it suits and is cheaper then go for it.

I always bought my Windows OS's OEM and have reactivated (vista and seven) when I have upgraded my games pc (keeping nowt but the case) and have never encountered a problem, but, MS is within their rights to refuse to do so.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2012 9:36 AM in response to BottmFeedr

OEM as far as Microsoft Windows is concerned means that it is supposed to be bought (or sold) with a pc, In theory resellers are allowed to sell OEM copies of windows only if hardware is bought at the same time (to the supplier I use this can mean any PC hardware at all, mouse, keyboard bla bla bla)

The license of the Oem version is somewhat more restricted than a 'full' version in that the license is tied to the original computer you install it on, (with the full version you can upgrade your mainboard etc as often as you like and keep reinstalling the same copy (on one computer at a time only!!)). So in theory if your mainboard blows then Microsoft can refuse to allow you to reactivate an OEM windows on the new mainboard because it is no longer the same computer (follow me?)

Other than that the OEM version is exactly the same as the full version software wise and should cause you no problems what so ever So if it suits and is cheaper then go for it.

I always bought my Windows OS's OEM and have reactivated (vista and seven) when I have upgraded my games pc (keeping nowt but the case) and have never encountered a problem, but, MS is within their rights to refuse to do so.

Feb 10, 2012 9:25 AM in response to BottmFeedr

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Or something like that.

It means the company which manufactures a device like a computer on which the OS Operating Sistem has to be installed and therefore he (OEM) gets with special agreements copies of the OS.

From a strictly legal point of wiew the OS and other software originally sold as OEM should not be sold alone.

Usually this OEM SW are exactly the same to the "unbranded" ones but you cannot be always sure: sometimes they may be sligtly adapted to the Harware.

This is the legal point, which could be different from country to country and from SW to SW.

From technical point I believe it should be possible to install an OEM software on a Virtual Machine on a Mac but this is to be seen as general and not 100% sure.

Feb 10, 2012 9:35 AM in response to BottmFeedr

In this context, yes, 'OEM' and 'Branded' equate to the same thing - a version of WinXP that's specifically targetted to a particular brand of hardware. At the end of the day the underlying software (i.e. Windows) is the same. but the installer may may checks for specific identifiers in the hardware that denote the brand of the machine, and may also install brand-specific software such as drivers, applications, etc.

Common examples would where people like Dell ship OEM versions of Windows that include drivers for hardware they sell (e.g. the specific brand of video chipsets they use in their machines) while excluding others (they don't need to ship, say, Nvidia drivers if they only sell ATI cards), as well as support applications (e.g. 'phone-home'-type apps that help their customer support department troubleshoot client problems).

Of course, that's not to say that you can't install additional drivers, or remove the cruft they do install, but it also delves into a murky legal area where that copy of Windows was licensed to go with a specific hardware model and installing it somewhere else violates the license agreement.

So whoever's telling you to get an OEM version is either misleading you (probably think they're helping by saving you a few $$s), or they don't understand what you're trying to do here.

At the end of the day, to install Windows on a Mac you need a full retail copy of the OS in order to comply with the license terms.

Feb 11, 2012 6:21 PM in response to Turbo toes

I bought a new ThinkPad recently, but also ordered an OEM version of Windows 7 to go along with it. Right out of the box, I installed the OEM version so I didn't have to put up with the crapware that Lenovo installs. And Lenovo isn't even one of the worst crapware offenders!

Windows 7 is a nice OS. It runs so much better without the trials, bloat and crap that Microsoft allows its OEMs to install. Apple does it right. OS X is OS X, pure and simple. Windows out of the box is far better than what most people have on their computers.

What does OEM really mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.