Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2015 3:26 AM by sudont
Good Will Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just had to command r and reset my password because i forgot it, but, as we know that does not reset keychain password. so is there a brute force for mac or maybe the guys down at the shop can do it there?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (61,945 points)

Use Keychain Access in /Utilities to update the keychain password.

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 Level 5 (5,755 points)

Baltwo, I don't beleive that is going to work for him. If he forgot his account password, and that most likely is the same as his keychain, then it's most likely he'll be permanently locked out of his keychain (until he can remember the original password).

Otherwise, if it were just that easy, it would be too simple to circumvent the whole point of having the keychain.

AFAIK, he reset the password for the account and should be able to use the new one to change the keychain password.

No, he booted to his DVD, and then did a password reset ('i'm 95% sure') from the utilities menu.

Because it was outside of System Pref, he's going to be permanently locked out of the keychain unless he can remember again.

Again, if it were not for this, then anyone could force-break into any keychain simply by a terminal command. And if it were that easy, then I'm sure we'd all know it by now, and he probably wouldn't be asking for a method on if it's even possible to brute-force it

Even with a super-computer, I don't think it's going to happen in his life-time.

• softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

Nope, you can't reset it by resetting the user password, as Hackintosh says, but you can create a new Keychain for your account, time consuming though that may be.

Your old keychain will not be deleted, which might be handy if you should ever remember your old password...

Ah! You're right, there's a requirement to enter the current, but forgotten, password. Bad ju ju forgetting one.

Well I guess it happens the to best... even the Level 8 posters!

• Good Will Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for trying to help guys. I got tired of looking for a brute force for mac and I decided I just didn’t really care anyways. They are just passwords after all, and I can reset them (I already have). I deleted my keychain and started a new one so I guess case closed.

Sorry I was trying to make everyone’s response a helpful answer. It only let me select two.

But really does no one know of a brute force with scripts? They’re so abundant and easy to use on pc.

Will, I think you've missed the point that I and Hackintosh were making:

There's no backdoor into the keychain. Not even apple can crack it.

Start a new one.

Good Will wrote:

But really does no one know of a brute force with scripts? They’re so abundant and easy to use on pc.

One reason why mac's are more secure than Pcs for you there then...

givin enough time scripts crack anything. i just didnt want to wait. and the more popular mac become the more abundant these things will become.

No Will... this is not PC world, , but there's no point in arguing.

You be sure to let us all know when someone cracks the keychain...

Will, I really hope you have a very simple password, if you want to automate a script to keep trying every possibility for the keychain.

Previous 1 2 Next