Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deskstar 5k4000 4TB drive only shows up as 1.8TB in Disk Utility

I have an older (2nd gen?) Mac Mini (intel) that I use as a home server and backup destination. My Time Machine Volume (A 2TB WD in a newertechnology ministack v3) was almost full, so I purchased a 4TB Deskstar 5K4000 and mounted it in the ministack. Oddly, Disk Utility reports its capacity as 1.8 TB, not 4TB.

So I move this mechanism to a Mygica USB SATA Dock (only 2 months old) and lo and behold, same result.

Is there something about this mechanism, Disk Utility, or OS X 10.7 that precludes using a mechanism of this size?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Lion Server

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2012 5:55 AM

You need a case or a dock with new chips that support 4TB drives.

If it doesn't say that it supports 4 TB drives, then it doesn't.

These cases are quite recent, will cost more, and won't be on sale :-(

10 replies

Jun 9, 2012 4:32 AM in response to Chris Connors

Small update and correction:

I have an older NewerTech Voyager Q dock with ports for USB2, Firewire 800, Firewire 400 and eSATA.

The first 3 of these only support up to 2TB drives. I didn't have an eSATA connection to test the 4th.

OWC <support@macsales.com> said none of the ports supported more than 2TB.

Nevertheless, I ordered an el cheapo Chinese 2 port flush mount eSATA expresscard.

The Voyager dock DOES support my Hitachi 4TB DeathStar using the eSATA port.

So does SATA in my very old Apple Time Capsule :-)

ps. The eSATA port on the Voyager is recessed to far and didn't work with 3 of the 4 cables I had.

All 4 cables were too stiff for use on a laptop. Pay extra and get a soft flexible cable.

Thanks for blessing my reply.

Deskstar 5k4000 4TB drive only shows up as 1.8TB in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.