Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 won't print photos as cropped

I have an album of photos that I've cropped to specific sizes to fit a collage frame. iPhoto will not print the photos as I've cropped them. It insists on scaling (and often re-cropping) them to fit the paper I'm printing on. How do I force iPhoto to print them as cropped?

Setting a photo size doesn't work because then iPhoto zooms in on the already cropped photo and re-crops. It also a pain, because then I'd have to print the photos in batches, being sure that I selected all the photos I cropped to a specific size for each batch.

Ray

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 10:01 PM

11 replies

Feb 10, 2012 10:52 PM in response to ray-n-tosca

Here's a work-around:

1. Export desired photo(s)
  2. Open with GraphicConverter
  3. Select portion of photo you want to keep (You may need to select a constraint from the Tool pallet)
  4. Select Edit->Trim Selection
  5. Select Picture->Size->Scale…
  6. Make sure "Scale Picture" is unchecked.
  7. Enter the desired Height and/or Width
  8. Click OK
  9. Select Print (Be sure "Original Size" is selected)
  10. Repeat steps 3-9 for each picture

It doesn't use iPhoto, but it works. Photos are printed at maximum resolution, at the desired size.

If you want to print to a standard print size, it's even easier. Trim the photo, print w/ auto scaling turned on. It will scale the image to fit the paper w/o losing any of the image, unlike iPhoto which scales the image to fill the page, often losing desired elements of the image.

Ray

Feb 11, 2012 8:22 AM in response to ray-n-tosca

Crop a photo to (4x3), select the cropped photo and print - select the printer, paper size and print size (4x3 - you may have to use a custom size here) - the preview will reflect this selection - and print

If you replace the 4x3 with 3x3 (which is a custom print size) the above is the procredure - please describe all of the exact steps you are taking

After selecting the printer, paper size and custom print size what does the preview show?

LN

Oct 23, 2012 1:29 PM in response to ray-n-tosca

I'm wondering if you ever solved this within iPhoto? I'm experiencing a similar issue in iPhoto'11 (9.4.1). I have a series of square images. I want to print them as square images on 4x6 paper. I select my image and choose print from the file menu. I then get the iPhoto print dialogue which is completely different from the print dialogues used through OSX (10.7.4). Paper size selected is 4x6 borderless. Under print size I get only the options of 3x5, 3x2 and 2x2, and custom of course. The problem I have is that the image has been zoomed way in, as if iPhoto was printing a 12x12 inch image. I can find no way to zoom the image back out to constrain it print within the paper size. If I go to custom and set up 4in by 4in, then I do get a 4in square printing window, but the image is still zoomed way in. Additionally, the iPhoto print dialogues allow no access to adjust print settings for different paper types. After I send the image to print, another dialogue comes up which allows me to choose from all of my printing presets, but I can't adjust them. Pulling my hair out!

Feb 14, 2013 11:25 AM in response to ray-n-tosca

I am having a similar problem, and just want to throw in my two cents. I want to print an image, say 5x11 on 8.5x11 paper, leaving the image uncropped, and printing on standard 8.5x11 paper with empty unprinted-upon space, 1.75 " on either side. IPhoto will not allow me to do this. I have to export to another program and print, which is a pain when I have to do a lot of images. a real fault of the program!

Feb 14, 2013 1:31 PM in response to maimom

I have no problem doing what you you're trying to accomplish. Also if you're still at 9.4.1 download and apply the iPhoto 9.4.2 updater and try again. I printed it out just to make sure the printed copy matched what was in the screenshot.

User uploaded file

Have you tried logging into another user account on your Mac and try to print that 5 x 11 image on the letter size paper?

iPhoto 11 won't print photos as cropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.