Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable program on startup that doesn't exist under Login items

Hi,

I installed the VNC program called Team Viewer 6 and it start automatically on startup even though I can't see it under system preferences -> account -> Login items, how do I disable the program to start on startup? I only run one account (admin).

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 8:00 AM

8 replies

Feb 11, 2012 9:26 AM in response to alesta

John Hammer1 is partially right. There are three locations for startup items

</System/Library/StartupItems>

</Library/StartupItems>

<~/Library/StartupItems>

(In theory, the first should be reserved exclusively for items bundled with Mac OS X.)

However, startup items have been deprecated since Tiger. Apple advises that only software which requires Panther compatibility should use them. The correct mechanism in Tiger and later is launchd. Therefore, if you don't find anything in the StartupItems folders, what you need to look for is a .plist file corresponding to your programme, which could be in

<~/Library/LaunchAgents>

</Library/LaunchAgents>

</Library/LaunchDaemons>

</System/Library/LaunchDaemons>

</System/Library/LaunchAgents>

(See "Creating Launch Daemons and Agents" in "Daemons and Services Programming Guide" in Apple's Developer library.)

Feb 11, 2012 12:02 PM in response to alesta

Have you tried this?

When logging off take the tick out of the box refering to opening windows, then log off. When you next log on none of the last windows you were working on should open up and a clear desktop should be shown.

In other words if you were working on Safari, then Safari will open up again when you next log on, unless you took the tick out of the closing message prior to hitting the shut down button.

Regards

John 88

Feb 12, 2012 3:30 AM in response to fane_j

Dear fane J,

I have picked up your comment. You are correct my system is 10.7.

I am sure you can conclude that I have no experience of previous systems and I am just getting to grips with this one, having been a PC user for years (sorry).

Perhaps you could help me with my problem which was listed on Feb 11, 2012 at 4.29am, headed "Doubling up of software icons etc..."

It will probably mean that the Office application has not loaded correctly and may need to be re-install.

As I can't find a reference number, I have therefore, noted the date for you to scroll through the lists.

Regards

John 88

How to disable program on startup that doesn't exist under Login items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.