Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Bootcamp no longer bootable

Hi,

I installed windows XP onto my MacBookPro about six months ago and everything was working fine. I haven't used it for a couple months. I decided I wanted to use Windows today and when I turned on my computer and held down the alt/option key, it didn't load anything (usually it displays "MACINTOSH HD" and "BOOTCAMP"), so I had to turn on my computer again and just use the apple. I repaired all disk permissions and verified the disk on the MACINTOSH HD volume and everything is okay. I can't do anything with the BOOTCAMP volume on disk utility.

I also went into System Preferences and Startup Disk, and it does not display the Bootcamp partition as a startup volume, only Macintosh HD and "network startup"

What has gone wrong and how can I get my Windows to function again?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:37 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2012 9:02 AM in response to hdbkiwi

I used to have XP on a MacBook Pro and experienced the same problem. My only solution was a Winclone backup that I used to replace the faulty XP. With Win 7 you can start from the install DVD and use system recovery to perform startup repair, system restore, and some other remedies. I do recall that this was not possible with an XP install disk.

If you do not have a replaceable backup then you will most likely have to reinstall from the start. Before doing this consider going to Windows 7 as XP is as obsolete as Mac OS 9.

Windows Bootcamp no longer bootable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.