Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to improve video performance with thunderbolt

Hi guys,

I have a Macbook pro 17" (EARLY 2011) 8gb, Ati Radeon HD 6750M.

I'm trying to improve the performance while working with video software such as fcpx or Premiere (this last one working much better).

I know I can use my thunderbolt port with a dedicated hard drive such as lacie ones, that should improve performance since the data is written in other drive than the system´s one. What about using a dedicated graphic card? Is this possible under the same thunderbolt connection? I saw that Sonnic builts enclosures for that but I don´t understand what cards cna be put inside to be compatible with my system. Any suggestions appreciated.

Pablo

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), ATI Radeon

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 10:58 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Chantus

There is nothing you can do to improve video performance. It is governed by your CPU and GPU speed and available RAM, main system and Video RAM.

A faster hard drive will allow programs to load faster and save files faster but only if that drive is in the system, not an external.

Now I have no experience with Thunderbolt drives as all are way out of my price range and I simply do not need the storage capacity they offer for the price they cost. But I do have USB 3 drives on my PC desktop and a Firewire 800 drive connected to my MBP at times and I can tell you they do not transfer data as fast as any internal drive.

Thunderbolt may be different and faster then anything I have used but I still would not expect it to help in the way you are looking for.

You need a Good Desktop system.

How to improve video performance with thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.