Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder asks for password when moving/deleting/saving/renaming/anything

Hi,

I've seen a number of discussions about this sort of thing with a number of different solutions...but thought I'd bring up my specific problem in hopes of a specific solution.

I wanted to share (with read/write access) my entire Documents on my iMac with my MacBook Air. I went into Finder on the iMac, clicked on Documents, went into "Get Info", pressed on the lock to unlock it, made sure my Air log in was "read/write", clicked on the gear and chose "apply to enclosed items". The thing warning me that I couldn't undo this change and I clicked OK. It did what it had to do and when I go into the Air, I can access all the files in my iMac's Documents folder and its subfolders. I can open them, save them, rename them...whatever. The adjustments I make on the Air show up when I open the file on the iMac. Great.

But the problem is that now on my iMac when I try to move a file, rename it, or send it to trash (and I'm sure more...), it requires me to type in my password. I could see that happening on the Air since it is accessing files on another computer...but happening with the iMac with the files actually on the iMac? That's not what it's supposed to do, right?

And actually - after typing that last paragraph I created two new folders on the iMac and made a word doc and saved it to one of those folders. Interestingly enough when I move that word doc between those two folders, the iMac doesn't ask for my password. If I move it to an old folder, it doesn't ask for my password. If I send one of those new folders to the trash, it doesn't ask for my password. Finder seems to only asks for my password with files/folders created since changing the privilege on the documents folder and having it "apply to enclosed items".

Is there something I need to do to all my old files/folders? Or is there a different avenue I should be following?

Thanks in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 11:48 AM

There are no replies.

Finder asks for password when moving/deleting/saving/renaming/anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.