Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recurrent error messages for a new user of FCE4

Hello all--

I bought FCE4 in 2009, and finally have the time to start learning it, using the Weynand Apple Pro Training guide. In doing the exercises, I am running into a recurrent Dropped Frames error message. I have done everything that it seems I have access to. RT was already set to "safe," and I lowered the number of audio tracks from 8 to 2. I raised the still cache from 10% to 30%, and doubled the thumbnail disk and RAM settings. So far nothing has eliminated the messages, which are usually coming less than 10 seconds into playing a clip. I don't know how to lower the compression data rate as the error message suggested; couldn't find a control for it, and no help from the docs. Can anybody help with that? BTW, I am running a top-of-the-line iMac from mid-2011, quad core i7 with 16 gb of RAM, so I can't imagine my cpu getting choked with a run-of-the-mill Timeline playback.

Any help to a true newbie (even after the product has been dropped, boooo) would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

later,

John

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:01 PM

11 replies

Feb 12, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Studio X

Thanks, Studio X. I just installed a new large-capacity external drive, mostly for my music sample libraries, but I will have space for video material as well.

Al, I am having trouble recreating the situation for the error message to stop the Timeline playback. I had to shut down my system to initialize the new external drive, and then do a cold start. Is there some kind of cache for the scratch disk that had been getting too full before, that I purged by doing the shutdown? I raised the Minimum Allowable Free Space on Scratch Disks in the System Settings to 3500 mb since the computer has a lot of horsepower. I don't see a way of purging the scratch disk cache myself. Is there one? Thanks again for your help on this!!

later,

John

Feb 13, 2012 1:02 AM in response to John Tenney

John,

A ten year old Mac using FCE 1 can handle DV without even raising a sweat so I suspect there is another gremlin lurking somewhere. 😕

To set the Scratch Disc:

Fianl Cut Express>System Settings>Scratch Disc Tab.

Click the top SET button and navigate to the external then CHOOSE.

Your done.

Uncheck the Limit Capture/Export File Segment Size To:

Place the check mark in the Limit Capture Now To: 30 miniutes is the default.

Al

Recurrent error messages for a new user of FCE4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.