Skip navigation

fcpx: the video properties of this clip are not recognized.

1281 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 1:37 PM by vjstalker RSS
1 2 Previous Next
vjstalker Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 11, 2012 2:54 PM

The original footage is 300fps hi-speed video, shot with Casio Exilim EX-F1. Resolution 512x384, framerate 29.97

When I imported the footage into FCPX, I marked "Transcoding: Create optimized media". So I did.

Now I start a new project, drag the clip into the timeline and I get the message "The video properties of this clip are not recognized." andI can choose to import the clip as 640x480. But I don't want that, and why have I just transcoded into pro-res if FCPX itself cannot recognize the clip afterwards? What am I missing here?

For the record: I also bought Compressor4 and Motion5 so if they are needed for my solution, no problem. I tried importing the clip first into Compressor4 but couln't find a way to export into a FCPX-project.

Short note about myself: long time Premiere user, recently switched to Apple + FCPX.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (104,630 points)

FCP can't edit non-standard formats, well only with a workaround. What's the specs on the audio? How'd you get the media down from 300 to 29.97?

Open the original file and the transcoded file in the QT player and see what it says for both in the movie inspector. It doesn't sound as if this media will work with FCP.

You can only edit in an FCP project in standard video format. There is a clumsy workaround. Select the clip and control-click to open in timeline. You can edit there as if it's a project.

That's the problem. You have to cut the whole program into that one clip's timeline. It works just like a project, but that's all you can do.

You could transcode, but I'm not sure what it would do for you. You'd still have to make it 640x480, which is what I thought you were trying to avoid.

I can't show you screenshots because I don't have access to FCP at the moment. Take the first clip you want to be in the project. Open it into the timeline using the Open in Timeline function. You can now blade this clip however you like. Cut the beginning, cut the end. Slice it however you want it. The audio will be separate from the video. You can collape it into a compound clip if you want. This only happens with the first clip. Leave the timeline open. In the event event browser, find the second shot you want. Mark In and Out points. Press the E key to append it to timeline. You want to insert a a different shot in the beginning. Move the playhead in the timeline back to the beginning. Find the shot you want in the browser. Mark in and out points. Press the W key to insert the shot. You want to add transitions. Select the clips in the timeline and press Cmd-T. You want to add a timeline. Put the playhead in the timeline wherever you want. Double click the title to put it into the timeline. Add more shots into the timeline. Do you see what's happening? You are editing your program into that first clip's timeline. The dimensions of that first clip remain intact in that timeline. When you export you're exporting that clip's timeline. As I said, it's not ideal, but it's a workaround. Basically FCP only works with standard video formats.

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,335 points)

This is a comment from the cheap seats. (Tom Wolsky is the expert here.)

If I had a legitimate reason for wanting to edit in the original dimensions, like ,say, to put it on a website where I was hosting the video and wanted it in an odd size to fit the web page, then I would edit in QuickTIme Pro 7. You can have any pixel dimensions you want. This also works if you only want to view it yourself on your Mac in QuickTime Player.

If I wanted to show the video anywhere else, (television, DVD, BluRay, YouTube, Apple TV, iPad) I would use the video clips in a 640x480 timeline and letterbox so I kept all original pixels in place, and added black space on the edges.

Now I will sit back and let Tom explain why I missed the point.

• Paul Cuciti Calculating status...

I'm just following along here, trying to learn a bit.

@Tom: this makes sense. But it's just going to the event, right? There is no project file created this way? That would explain why nothing is saved after qutting.

@vj: So it follows that you should either export your work at the end of each session, or possibly create a compound clip to save the work. Anyhow, that's what I'm getting from this thread.

What version of FCP is this? This should not happen. I have edited as I described, quit the app, rebooted, and the material is still there. There is no project file of course but it is in the event folder wtih the compound clip icon.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.